Fusion Hybrid Testing?

ibinubu12

Today I saw a white Fusion leaving the Ford offices on Rotunda in Dearborn. It had all the typical barcode stickers on it that signal it is a Ford owned car. The only thing that was odd about it was that it had aluminum rims that looked like a cross between those on the Fusion I4 SE and those solid plate hubcaps of the Civic Hybrid. It also had wires dangling below it and something that looked like a electric plug attached to the rear bumper.

Is there a possibility this is a test mule of the much anticipated Fusion Hybrid, or am I just getting too excited every time I see a Ford with manufacturer's plates?

Here's to hoping its the Hybrid! :happy feet:

Today I saw a white Fusion leaving the Ford offices on Rotunda in Dearborn. It had all the typical barcode stickers on it that signal it is a Ford owned car. The only thing that was odd about it was that it had aluminum rims that looked like a cross between those on the Fusion I4 SE and those solid plate hubcaps of the Civic Hybrid. It also had wires dangling below it and something that looked like a electric plug attached to the rear bumper.

Is there a possibility this is a test mule of the much anticipated Fusion Hybrid, or am I just getting too excited every time I see a Ford with manufacturer's plates?

Here's to hoping its the Hybrid! :happy feet:

Was the front end/grille covered? If so, could you tell if it looked like the renderings that made it online this summer?

The hybrid has been spotted before, but the powertrain was sitting inside the current body style, not the 2009 refresh version.

Was the front end/grille covered? If so, could you tell if it looked like the renderings that made it online this summer?

The hybrid has been spotted before, but the powertrain was sitting inside the current body style, not the 2009 refresh version.

Well, being that the '09 Fusion will only be a refresh, there really would be no reason to test the hybrid drivetrain in the '09 body. They could likely get all necessary test data by using the current body and just dropping the hybrid powerplant into the new body style when they start building more pre-production prototypes.

I would think that anything you see being tested on the current Fusion must either be for the hybrid, 3.0 PIP, or 2.5 I4. From what he described, hybrid seems most likely in this case.

I've found the lack of spy shots of the refresh a little odd, too. Igor, have you heard any definitive word on when we can expect to see a debut?

Now that I think about it, I remember reading on a forum (not here though) last fall that someone saw a group of Fusions with camouflaged hoods in Northern Michigan. But who knows what that was.

One thing is certain...Ford is doing a good job keeping this under wraps.

I've found the lack of spy shots of the refresh a little odd, too.

Well, from what we all know so far, there won't be much in the way of mechanical changes for the '09 Fusion, so the need for road-testing the refreshed versions would be minimal. Quite likely why we haven't seen too many disguised '09 Mustangs either.