Electronic Ovedrive

normboy

Hi,

I just purchased a 2003 Windstar LX and will take delivery February 24th. I am quite excited since I have wanted one for some time. I have read all kinds of people crapping on Ford. If they feel sorry for me or feel I have made a bad decision, why don't they give me some money in order not to feel so badly? :P

I do not have a manual for the vehicle. Does any one know if the transmission needs to be operating at a certain speed before engaging the overdrive gear? Does the overdrive shut itself off? If it shuts itself off when does it do so? Can you just leave the button in the on position when the vehicle is running? What is the advantage of turning it off? :unsure:

Normal function in OD allows you all four gears. You can selsect non overdirve function by pushing the button on the end of the shifter knob. This will turn the "OD OFF" lamp on, allowing automatic shifting between the first three gears. For most applications, just put her in the (OD) position, and leave the button alone. However, a good rule of thumb is this: if it shifts a lot back and forth from 3rd to 4th, lock it out of OD (by pushing the button) to prevent the shifting. You can lock it in third for engine braking down steep hills too. If you are towing or loaded close to GVW, lock it out too. Otherwise, just put it in gear (OD) and go. FYI: NEVER allow it to shift up to 4th at or near wide open throttle.

Normal function in OD allows you all four gears. You can selsect non overdirve function by pushing the button on the end of the shifter knob. This will turn the "OD OFF" lamp on, allowing automatic shifting between the first three gears. For most applications, just put her in the (OD) position, and leave the button alone. However, a good rule of thumb is this: if it shifts a lot back and forth from 3rd to 4th, lock it out of OD (by pushing the button) to prevent the shifting. You can lock it in third for engine braking down steep hills too. If you are towing or loaded close to GVW, lock it out too. Otherwise, just put it in gear (OD) and go. FYI: NEVER allow it to shift up to 4th at or near wide open throttle.

Bill

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Norm :D