Thinking about buying one . . .

Ken F.

Greetings all.

I am thinking about buying an SEL with the 6 speed and I have a couple questions.

How many RPM should this thing pull in top gear at 75 mph?

What kind of highway fuel milage should I expect while driving 75 mph? They are rated 21/29. Is it realistic?

Thanks,

Ken.

Greetings all.

I am thinking about buying an SEL with the 6 speed and I have a couple questions.

How many RPM should this thing pull in top gear at 75 mph?

What kind of highway fuel milage should I expect while driving 75 mph? They are rated 21/29. Is it realistic?

Thanks,

Ken.

2000 RPM at 70. You can compute for 75.

Mine (6speed Montego) won't get 29 at 75. But will at 65-70.

Thanks for the reply.

I test drove a 500 yesterday and it was pulling 2000 rpm @ 70. I thought that seemed high and wondered if maybe it wasn't making it to 6th gear. Obviously it was.

The fuel economy also makes sense. Fuel economy on all of my vehicles is best up to the 65 mph zone. It seems to drop pretty quickly as speed increases. So I'm guessing maybe 26-27 mpg @ 75/80 mph.

Boy this sure seems like a nice car. Very roomy and comfortable.

The 500/Montego/Freestyle are all great laser-welded, Volvo-derived vehicles. My Freestyle is at 2000 RPM at 70 mph with the CVT, the same as your experience in the non-stationWagon version with the 6-speed. I have been getting 25 mpg with 75% highway driving over the last 3 tanks. Remember, as speeds rise, air drag on the body increases greatly, dropping gas mileage big-time.

Buy it, I say. This is a big vehicle architecture that is a real value.

I test drove a 500 yesterday and it was pulling 2000 rpm @ 70. I thought that seemed high and wondered if maybe it wasn't making it to 6th gear. Obviously it was.

The fuel economy also makes sense. Fuel economy on all of my vehicles is best up to the 65 mph zone. It seems to drop pretty quickly as speed increases. So I'm guessing maybe 26-27 mpg @ 75/80 mph.

Boy this sure seems like a nice car. Very roomy and comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Aero drag on the vehicle increases as a square function of speed so speed is a key factor in fuel mileage. We have all read of the significant changes coming to the EPA methold for determining vehicle mileage. In general the current figures are about 15% overstated.

We need to continue pressuring makers to improve fuel efficiency for practical and political reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a lot of time deciding what vehicle I wanted to replace my 2003 Windstar and decided on the Montego premier. Have had 4 other Ford products and was not prepared for what was to follow.

At 500 miles the ABS warning light came on and a sensor had become disconnected.

Airbag warning light came on twice and dealer could not find problem and FORD told dealer when it was there for the third time not to work on the car as it was reported and Ford is working on it. That was 3 weeks ago.

Grinding noise when turning at slow speeds parking. dealer replaced struts/springs and now the noise is back again.

GPS does not recognize all addresses.

bubbles on dash cover-replaced

Owner of dealer ship said when I approached him that even if the airbags did not deploy the car is very safe and the airbags are only secondary.

forearmed is forewarned

Dont understand what Fords problem. The dealer does not give a damm about building a quality vehicle

despite their slogan of Quality is Job one

oh forgot to mention that now brakes make noise and are spongy when being left over night.

I also have an '06 Premier. I only have 3,000 miles on it. Now, I'm no techno speaker, but I can tell you I love it. It replaced a '93 Villager, and I wish I had done this sooner. I do a 60 mile round trip drive to work. Averaging 24 MPG @ 70 MPH. I do have quite a few areas I have to slow down though. Can't wait to take my sturdy girl on a long trip. I love the fact that although it is a sedan, there is no sedan float in the ride. Very firm, but comfortable ride.

I have had no trouble at all. The CVT remains smooth and great on acceleration, even in cruise. I did notice that when my 11 year old niece decided to lay the seat all the way back the air bag off light came on.

As far as the GPS, if you read the manual, it states that all roads may not be listed. My rural road for instance isn't listed. BFD. I have a cell phone that can get to my final; destination if needed. There are also update to the Trip CD.

Comfort. Oh yeah. I have never liked leather seats, but these are a dream.

If I have to find one complaint, it has to be the placement of the turn signal. A bit too high in opinion. Can't reach with the pinky to activate. Again BFD.

I also have an '06 Premier. I only have 3,000 miles on it. Now, I'm no techno speaker, but I can tell you I love it. It replaced a '93 Villager, and I wish I had done this sooner. I do a 60 mile round trip drive to work. Averaging 24 MPG @ 70 MPH. I do have quite a few areas I have to slow down though. Can't wait to take my sturdy girl on a long trip. I love the fact that although it is a sedan, there is no sedan float in the ride. Very firm, but comfortable ride.

I have had no trouble at all. The CVT remains smooth and great on acceleration, even in cruise. I did notice that when my 11 year old niece decided to lay the seat all the way back the air bag off light came on.

As far as the GPS, if you read the manual, it states that all roads may not be listed. My rural road for instance isn't listed. BFD. I have a cell phone that can get to my final; destination if needed. There are also update to the Trip CD.

Comfort. Oh yeah. I have never liked leather seats, but these are a dream.

If I have to find one complaint, it has to be the placement of the turn signal. A bit too high in opinion. Can't reach with the pinky to activate. Again BFD.

I picked the Montego over others because of the comforf factor, car rides like a dream, I get about 32 in highway cruising at 55-65. Thats when its not at the dealer.

Everyone I talk to has not had any problems near to what mine have been.

The dealer is one that I have purchased 6 others from since 1993.

They are only a franchise so if they get garbage from FORD all they can do is to try to fix it.

They will get all their costs covered by Ford to do repairs, so its a win for them, its just me the customer that is screwed.

Ford customer service says the dealer reports the car as drivable lets see what happens today.

Glad you are enjoying yr car,

I work at Chicago Assembly Plant. First of all, thank you for purchasing our product second sorry for all the problems you are having. I honestly do everything I can to build a perfect product and I call out any defects no matter how small they are. I know my apology can't make anything better but I HATE to hear negative things about a product that I put my all into. Although I am only one person I do what I can so I can have a clear conscious. I will not send or let a car go by with defects! Despite if some of my complaints fall on deaf ears I do it day in and day out. I also am disappointed to hear that neither your dealer or Ford seem to care about your problems, for a company in so much trouble I don't understand what they are thinking half the time. I would suggest calling and writing Dearborn demanding they do something. Also I know most at CAP are doing our best to build quality, but we can only work with what's in front of us. I can't speak for all of our vendors.

• 2 weeks later...
I work at Chicago Assembly Plant. First of all, thank you for purchasing our product second sorry for all the problems you are having. I honestly do everything I can to build a perfect product and I call out any defects no matter how small they are. I know my apology can't make anything better but I HATE to hear negative things about a product that I put my all into. Although I am only one person I do what I can so I can have a clear conscious. I will not send or let a car go by with defects! Despite if some of my complaints fall on deaf ears I do it day in and day out. I also am disappointed to hear that neither your dealer or Ford seem to care about your problems, for a company in so much trouble I don't understand what they are thinking half the time. I would suggest calling and writing Dearborn demanding they do something. Also I know most at CAP are doing our best to build quality, but we can only work with what's in front of us. I can't speak for all of our vendors.

Thank you for yr comments. Now to add insult to the situation with my car the oval clock stopped working last

The 500/Montego/Freestyle are all great laser-welded, Volvo-derived vehicles. My Freestyle is at 2000 RPM at 70 mph with the CVT, the same as your experience in the non-stationWagon version with the 6-speed. I have been getting 25 mpg with 75% highway driving over the last 3 tanks. Remember, as speeds rise, air drag on the body increases greatly, dropping gas mileage big-time.

Buy it, I say. This is a big vehicle architecture that is a real value.

Hey ColdCranker,

I also have a Freestyle -- LOVE IT!!! But I was curious about a hesitation in the transmission I feel when leveled off at a speed -- the RPMs bounce a little and you can feel a pull. I've had it in twice to the dealer and they cannot find anything wrong - have you felt that with your CVT? The 1st time I had it in they told me it was normal.