Analysts divided on Ford's new labour deal

suv_guy_19

I thought you were serious neighbour lol.

Well, since we're going to say lay-brr instead of saying it correctly anyway, why bother with that extra u?

Note: My pronunciations are probably closer to Canadian than American. Mostly because I decided people that say cloZe, ASHfault, grosheries, etc sound like complete idiots. There are dialects and accents, and there is blatantly wrong pronunciation.

there is blatantly wrong pronunciation.

Actually, there's not.

Linguistics prof I had in college made a major point of this.

Languages are perpetually in flux. There is no such thing as 'wrong' pronunciation. Our pronunciation is neither better nor worse than the pronunciation of our English speaking forbears; it is merely different.

Now if you want to describe pronunciation as 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable' to a certain group of listeners, that's fine. But it is a fundamental mistake to assume that which you consider unacceptable to also be wrong.

I mean, you see there how I split the infinitive 'to be'? Some people would have a major issue with that. Yet did you understand what I typed? Of course you did.

Actually, there's not.

Linguistics prof I had in college made a major point of this.

Languages are perpetually in flux. There is no such thing as 'wrong' pronunciation. Our pronunciation is neither better nor worse than the pronunciation of our English speaking forbears; it is merely different.

Now if you want to describe pronunciation as 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable' to a certain group of listeners, that's fine. But it is a fundamental mistake to assume that which you consider unacceptable to also be wrong.

I mean, you see there how I split the infinitive 'to be'? Some people would have a major issue with that. Yet did you understand what I typed? Of course you did.

Clothes does not have a 'z'. How can asphalt be said as "ashfault"? Also, I'd consider ebonics to be 'wrong' pronunciation.

Clothes does not have a 'z'. How can asphalt be said as "ashfault"? Also, I'd consider ebonics to be 'wrong' pronunciation.

How do you pronounce 'daughter'?

How do you pronounce 'laughter'?

How do you pronounce 'through'?

How do you pronounce 'dough'?

How do you pronounce 'rough'?

How do you pronounce 'doe'?

How do you pronounce 'ewe'?

How do you pronounce 'you'?

How do you pronounce 'read'?

How do you pronounce 'polish'?

How do you pronounce 'Polish'?

Spelling and pronunciation bear only a passing relationship in English. It is ridiculous to complain about the absence of a 'z' in clothes while missing the opportunity to pronounce silent letters such as the 'e' in have, the 'w' in 'who', and any of a variety of 'k' words.

Undoubtedly, you pronounce the 'e' in 'merry' no differently than the 'a' in 'marry', which means you're quite obviously substituting one sound for another.

Don't forget, I am (according to you, at least), the 'master of words'... :P

Edited by RichardJensen

How do you pronounce 'daughter'?

How do you pronounce 'laughter'?

How do you pronounce 'through'?

How do you pronounce 'dough'?

How do you pronounce 'rough'?

How do you pronounce 'doe'?

How do you pronounce 'ewe'?

How do you pronounce 'you'?

How do you pronounce 'read'?

How do you pronounce 'polish'?

How do you pronounce 'Polish'?

Spelling and pronunciation bear only a passing relationship in English. It is ridiculous to complain about the absence of a 'z' in clothes while missing the opportunity to pronounce silent letters such as the 'e' in have, the 'w' in 'who', and any of a variety of 'k' words.

Undoubtedly, you pronounce the 'e' in 'merry' no differently than the 'a' in 'marry', which means you're quite obviously substituting one sound for another.

Don't forget, I am (according to you, at least), the 'master of words'... :P

You are the master of words. However, clothes is not pronounced cloZe. It is pronounced clo-thes. If I wanted to play with phonetics I'd point out 'ghoti' can be the same as 'fish'. I just have issue when people say clothes like close. They are likely the same people that stutter out um, uh, ah, eh, like, and, etc.