SUV & Pickup Laden Ford Has Got To Be Pulling For This

BlackHorse

you sound like NY Times - what has Ford to do with this?

Ford has been moving away from SUV's faster than other Big,3 and all the while Toyota is racing to sell more and more of these gas hogs ..

so once again -what does Ford have to do with the news piece?

Igor

you sound like NY Times - what has Ford to do with this?

Ford has been moving away from SUV's faster than other Big,3 and all the while Toyota is racing to sell more and more of these gas hogs ..

so once again -what does Ford have to do with the news piece?

Igor

Uh, the number one selling pickup truck on the face of the planet is the what again? Oh yeah the Ford F150, not exactly a fuel sipping vehicle and it's sales have been hurt by higher gas prices.

captain_obvious_rescue.jpg

Even if gas prices drop after the situation in Iraq resolves itself one way or another, Americans are making a shift in consumption. We saw it in the early 80s when the move to smaller/more fuel efficient cars continued long after gas prices dropped. We'll see it again.

With the credit crunch and the gas price crunch it is slowly dawning on the collective consciousness of the American consumer that perhaps he is a bit over extended.

ah great .. ok

yuppee .. anyways - got the sake of Us I hope this goes through, but this is FAR from fxing the economy - the gas is not expensive because expensive oil - it is expensive because of weak dollar .. and this will not fix that.

Igor

Uh, the number one selling pickup truck on the face of the planet (US MARKET ONLY) is the what again? Oh yeah the Ford F150, not exactly a fuel sipping vehicle and it's sales have been hurt by higher gas prices.

captain_obvious_rescue.jpg

I highlighted the fact that the F150 or if you want F series is the number one selling pick up in the world, but that is thanks to sales in the US.

The rest of the world (OK, if you want to add Canada and Mexico with the US, fine) consume the Japanese style 1 ton truck (aka as Thai Ranger)

Even if gas prices drop after the situation in Iraq resolves itself one way or another, Americans are making a shift in consumption. We saw it in the early 80s when the move to smaller/more fuel efficient cars continued long after gas prices dropped. We'll see it again.

With the credit crunch and the gas price crunch it is slowly dawning on the collective consciousness of the American consumer that perhaps he is a bit over extended.

I tend to agree with that theory Richard and it will likely be the outcome. But if the price of gas is driven back down by this move it will certainly be welcome news for those that need an F150 or actually do need an SUV.

the gas is not expensive because expensive oil - it is expensive because of weak dollar .. and this will not fix that.

Actually, resolution in Iraq removes one of the core risk factors to the U.S. currency (e.g. open ended unbudgetable commitment).

Remove the basis for underpricing the dollar and it's only a matter of time before the dollar rebounds, somewhat. I think the US Treasury will continue to be mum on the dollar which will keep it depressed, but make no mistake, a resolution in Iraq boosts the value of the dollar.

Also, a weak dollar isn't the core issue with the economy. The core issue with the economy is a credit shortage. Businesses need to start spending more, as consumers are tapped out. If businesses do not boost spending, consumers will continue to push the economy, and thanks to tight credit, they can't push very hard.

Edited by RichardJensen

ah great .. ok

yuppee .. anyways - got the sake of Us I hope this goes through, but this is FAR from fxing the economy - the gas is not expensive because expensive oil - it is expensive because of weak dollar .. and this will not fix that.

Igor

Gee I don't seem to recall anything about this fixing the economy, although I'm not sure the economy needs fixing to begin with. Second despite what you might think, yes gas is expensive because oil is expensive. If the price of a barrel of oil dropped back to 30 to 40 dollars a barrel the price of gas will also drop, that's just common sense. If it doesn't drop then we start looking at price gouging.