05 Expedition tuning

1niceharley

Has anyone tried to successfully tune the 05 Expedition EB to get better gas mileage? Using a Hypertech or Jet or Superchips or similar device? I don't like how the transmission shifts (it lingers in a lower gear, higher rpm for a long time under no load, straight and level) and the gas mileage sucks. I get 14 in the city and 15-16 on the highway. I truely think it could get better gas mileage with a better tune and the trans shifting better. Any suggestions? I have already tried a CAI and no change in the gas mileage but the power is better, but the trans still doesn't shift correctly (in my book).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Troy

Has anyone tried to successfully tune the 05 Expedition EB to get better gas mileage? Using a Hypertech or Jet or Superchips or similar device? I don't like how the transmission shifts (it lingers in a lower gear, higher rpm for a long time under no load, straight and level) and the gas mileage sucks. I get 14 in the city and 15-16 on the highway. I truely think it could get better gas mileage with a better tune and the trans shifting better. Any suggestions? I have already tried a CAI and no change in the gas mileage but the power is better, but the trans still doesn't shift correctly (in my book).

Troy

I think at best your only going to squeak a mile or two per gallon.

Pump the tires up a few more psi. Turn the a/c off. Alignment perfect, etc.

Troy

if you are going to get a programmer i would suggest the SCT xcalibur 3 or the livewire, with customized tunes. That will be the only way to improve your particular vehicle. The Dont waste your money on the jet or hypertech.

Thanks guys for the info.

Even a mile or 2 per gallon would be a vast improvement over what I am getting now.

I am familar with the Xcal 3 but by the time I buy the device and get it dyno/custom tuned I will have over 500-600 dollars into it and that would take a long time to over come where I could get the Hypertech for under 300. But that is why I asked the question I didn't want to throw 300 away on a device that wouldn't work.

Thanks again,

Troy