If you must

dogydog

Please make it similar to the concept car. And give the Mustang GT horsepower & gas mileage to meet or beat the oncoming Camaro & Challenger.

Do you also want to give it a sticker price to match the upcoming Challenger and Camaro? You don't really think that Dodge will be selling 425 horsepower Challengers for $25,000, do you?

By the time the Challenger and/or Camaro arrive, Ford should have a "middle-ground" performance variant of the Mustang about ready to slot in between the GT and GT500. I suspect another Mach 1, with maybe 380-390 horsepower. That would suit me fine.

That would suit me fine.

me too- I think you are right on target too...why else hasnt there been a mach or boss yet- there was no need...theres a lot of life left in the current car. add a couple cool trim pkgs, and draw some more buyers in whenever demand starts to drop off a little.

my biggest worry on a redesign is it might look even more 69-ish...I dont ever want to get rid of this car, but if they ever add the little tiny 69 windows and push out the quarters a bit more...well I may have another battle with the wife over the logic of another 4 seat car with 3 kids that will be too big for even 2 of them to ride in back very far by then...although if chevy pops out 66/67 impala, I'm sure ford will offer up something similar(hopefully before GM!), so maybe there might be a easier battle :) I'd love to see a late 60's XL inspired reskin of the crown vic...with at least the 3v 4.6

I'd better hurry up and pay off this mustang!

:)

Do you also want to give it a sticker price to match the upcoming Challenger and Camaro? You don't really think that Dodge will be selling 425 horsepower Challengers for $25,000, do you?

By the time the Challenger and/or Camaro arrive, Ford should have a "middle-ground" performance variant of the Mustang about ready to slot in between the GT and GT500. I suspect another Mach 1, with maybe 380-390 horsepower. That would suit me fine.

No, but the GT Premium isn't $25,000 either.

I HIGHLY doubt that the new Camaro is coming. It was supposedly going to be built on the same platform as the 2008 (?) GTO, which was to be built here and not in Australia by Holden as with the current GTO, but that all got cancelled...

As for the new Mustang, I have three very minor problems with it, none of which have to do with the appearance of the car:

1. Returnless fuel system (adds complexity, aka cost)

2. "Drive by wire" throttle (same as above)

3. Instead of having the rather useless Charge Motion Control Valve, why not just have a nice dual stage intake...?

Call me picky, but I wouldn't have a S197 Mustang (that I would likely heavily modify engine-wise) for those reasons. A shame too, because IMO this Mustang comes very close to being as awsome looking as my favorite 'Stangs, the '94-'98 SN95's. It also has a chassis light years ahead of the SN95, as I've heard the cars don't even need subframe connectors, etc, for the ones that have already been pushed past 500 RWHP.

P.S., does anyone know if the GT500 will have a return-style fuel system?

I HIGHLY doubt that the new Camaro is coming. It was supposedly going to be built on the same platform as the 2008 (?) GTO, which was to be built here and not in Australia by Holden as with the current GTO, but that all got cancelled...

As for the new Mustang, I have three very minor problems with it, none of which have to do with the appearance of the car:

1. Returnless fuel system (adds complexity, aka cost)

2. "Drive by wire" throttle (same as above)

3. Instead of having the rather useless Charge Motion Control Valve, why not just have a nice dual stage intake...?

Call me picky, but I wouldn't have a S197 Mustang (that I would likely heavily modify engine-wise) for those reasons. A shame too, because IMO this Mustang comes very close to being as awsome looking as my favorite 'Stangs, the '94-'98 SN95's. It also has a chassis light years ahead of the SN95, as I've heard the cars don't even need subframe connectors, etc, for the ones that have already been pushed past 500 RWHP.

P.S., does anyone know if the GT500 will have a return-style fuel system?

Why would any of those reasons stop you?

The Mustang has used a returnless fuel system since 1999. Tuners all thought it would be the end of the world. Obviously they've dealt with it quite well. The returnless system is actually LESS complex from a cost-of-production standpoint. It's just more complicated from a fuel management standpoint.

While the drive-by-wire system is a bit more complex, it adds one more option when tuning the vehicle. Nothing wrong with it.

The CMCV's are certainly a better option than the IMRC's found on the earlier 4-valve motors. If you don't like them, you can always remove them.

I dont like the drive by wire thing at all...

two things noticed-

if idling in first, and you try to accelerate SLIGHTLY, about half the time it will start bucking for some reason...might be motor mount flex/windup, but I dont think so.

when using cruise control you cannot tell where the throttle is. I dont always use +/- button in cruise, sometimes just touch the gas for a sec and release when I'm past whatever, but now its push-push-push-response...kinda feels disconnected.

**traction control is easy for Ford with the servo, but I do wish it was more of a servo to split the cable to take out throttle as necessary for traction control, without numbing the pedal. every other aspect of the road feel is perfect except the gas pedal.

if someone could tune out the servo throttle, I'd probably convert to cable- even at expense of losing traction control.