Thoughts on '08 Focus Test Drive

fusion0206

Yesterday I test-drove a 2008 Focus SES sedan. I know not everyone on the forum has had a chance to get behind the wheel of one just yet, so perhaps my impressions are worthwhile.

First, the good. The seats were very comfortable and the trunk was surprisingly deep. The fit of interior components, especially on the console, was very good. Every button felt well-seated and the top-of-dash display was easy to read. Handling was also good, especially considering the roads I took the car on had patches of ice and snow.

But overall I was not as impressed with the Focus as I am with my Fusion. The Focus was far from quiet inside with an unexpectedly high level of engine noise, something I suspect may have been caused by cold temperatures here in Michigan. A lot of the interior surfaces felt very cheap, especially the air vents which I (and my co-pilot) were afraid would break off. And I still can't get past the ugly beak on this car. It looks great from the side and from the back, but when I see the front, I lose all ability to overlook the car's shortcomings.

That said, the Focus is pretty cheap, and I'd call it a good value overall. Feel free to post any questions and I'll try to answer.

I too, just drove one the other day. It was a Base "S" model. The only option it had was an auto trans. I was actually quite suprised at how solid it felt overall. Still has quite a bit of tire noise, but otherwise not too bad at all. My daily driver is a 2005 Focus ST so it wasn't exactly apples to apples as far as "sporty" but it handled fairly well for a base type setup. The looks are growing on me (at least the 4 dr). The inside is a big step up compared to my 05. I will definitaly consider the SES sedan at some point in the future. All things considered, it would be a fine "baby brother" to my wife's Fusion.

• 1 month later...

having had one for a week as a loaner, i could see where you would make the comments you did. Regarding engine noise it does exist but seemingly in the midrange during acceleration. More often than not, its fairly quiet. that midrange drone detracts though.

the car is as you said a value proposition. but as much as people drive small cars because they have to and because truthfully very few want to, it will sell well as a middle of the road commuter car.

I would upgrade to a midsize like a fusion before i would spend a lot more for a better compact.

Edited by regfootball