'08 Mariner Hybrid Tire Chains vs. Cables

65fairlane

The owner's manual is a bit vague about whether cables or chains are allowable on the vehicle. While the wording in the manual says "SAE class "S" cables should ONLY be used on the front axle for P235/70R16 tires" it later mentions chains. I do have the tire size mentioned, but it's not clear if the restriction is meant to limit use to just the front wheels and/or this size tire. According to the dealer, cables are required and NOT chains because "chains will damage the suspension." Of course, the history of getting facts from a dealer tends to be rather skimpy.

Thanks for anyone's experience here.

-Chris.

I'm not a fan of chains or cables. Immediately after purchasing my 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD last year I replaced the Continental Eco-Plus tires with Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. These give fine traction in all kinds of weather and would probably work for you. See the comments at The Tire Rack's Web site.

The owner's manual is a bit vague about whether cables or chains are allowable on the vehicle. While the wording in the manual says "SAE class "S" cables should ONLY be used on the front axle for P235/70R16 tires" it later mentions chains. I do have the tire size mentioned, but it's not clear if the restriction is meant to limit use to just the front wheels and/or this size tire. According to the dealer, cables are required and NOT chains because "chains will damage the suspension." Of course, the history of getting facts from a dealer tends to be rather skimpy.

-Chris.

I have a AWD Mariner hybrid, and I am in my second winter. I have not had a single problem with the stock tires, in terms of successfully getting around in bad weather. I am quite pleased, having expected far worse from switching from my Jeep w/ upcountry.