Ford Five Hundred - Radio Antenna

iluvnascar

Does the Five Hundred have a hidden antenna?

None of the sales brochures show an antenna.....but the "Build and Price" website states it has a "Fixed Antenna" and the website picture, although a bit fuzzy, seems to show an antenna...

I sure hope it's hidden.....because the harder I look, the more reasons I find not to buy one....

No. It's mounted at the RF "A" pillar.

It's a nice car for the money. Take a test drive.

Thanks Ron......yes, I've driven it......and was about to buy one....the Limited FWD version. As you say, a nice car for the money.

But there are a few things that I have noticed upon a closer inspection that have convinced me to look elsewhere.......a) no factory-ready satellite radio, B) a fixed antenna, c) heated seats.....but no cooled seats, and, d) those ridiculously cheap door plastic door panels.

I'm trading my 2004 LS......but as you know, the LS is going away; and the Zephyr is just an itty bitty Fusion with a different dress on......hard to believe that the Lincoln name is on that car. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to take a real close look at Cadillac.......

Thanks Ron......yes, I've driven it......and was about to buy one....the Limited FWD version. As you say, a nice car for the money.

But there are a few things that I have noticed upon a closer inspection that have convinced me to look elsewhere.......a) no factory-ready satellite radio, B) a fixed antenna, c) heated seats.....but no cooled seats, and, d) those ridiculously cheap door plastic door panels.

I'm trading my 2004 LS......but as you know, the LS is going away; and the Zephyr is just an itty bitty Fusion with a different dress on......hard to believe that the Lincoln name is on that car. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to take a real close look at Cadillac.......

I'm in the same boat with my LS. I have 2 years left on my lease so that gives me time to weigh my options and wait for Lincoln to come out with new product. If I were you, I'd buy another LS. The 2006 LS is very sharp!

I would recommend the CTS or STS if you want to replace the LS with a value conscious domestic performance sedan. I'm really looking forward to exploring cars beyond the Ford realm in 2 years, it should be quite a challenge to weigh my options; you never know what you'll discover. I've been in a Ford family for years and I would normally never consider anything but Ford/Lincln. But the competition has grown so much stronger than Ford, you can't help but consider your options more carefully.

Edited by BORG

I'm in the same boat with my LS. I have 2 years left on my lease so that gives me time to weigh my options and wait for Lincoln to come out with new product. If I were you, I'd buy another LS. The 2006 LS is very sharp!

I would recommend the CTS or STS if you want to replace the LS with a value conscious domestic performance sedan. I'm really looking forward to exploring cars beyond the Ford realm in 2 years, it should be quite a challenge to weigh my options; you never know what you'll discover. I've been in a Ford family for years and I would normally never consider anything but Ford/Lincln. But the competition has grown so much stronger than Ford, you can't help but consider your options more carefully.

You're exactly right Borg......I hate to do it, but I have no choice. As for another LS.....I don't want a V-8 and all the extra investment......and I don't want to buy another "antique". I bought a SHO.....and they discontinued it; and I bought an LS....and they are discontinuing it; and I looked at a Zephyr and quickly rejected it (and subsequently found out that the Zephyr name is also being discontinued).

The 500 is a nice car.....I think the size is perfect for me....but I really need to have the bells and whistles that I mentioned. Even though it's a bit underpowered, I think I could accept that because the torque is decent. But if this is to be Ford's "flagship sedan", they need to do better with content, at least in the high end unit (LIMITED).

You really can't compare the LS to a Montego/Five Hundred.

If you were trading in a Taurus/Sable you would be pleased.

You would have to be out of your mind to buy a Zepher when you could buy a Milan for ten grand less for the same vehicle without all of the ugly trim and leather.

I don't know a thing about Cadillac.

Good luck.

What about the Montego? I haven't done a detailed comparison between the 500 and Montego but I think the Montego is considerably more attractive thanks to some better quality details.

As for buying the Milan over the Zephyr, I'm affraid that doesn't quite float for me. I would still prefer the Zephyr if only because there are more features (namely DVD Navigation) than the Milan/Fusion. It also sports some important damping features to help isolate the cabin from the obnoxious Duratec. And I think the outside of the Zephyr looks more attractive than either the Fusion or Milan, largely because they trimmed the front overhang and gave the car a neater look overall. I wouldn't call the Zephyr sexy by a long shot, but it's not bad. The real weakness is in the interior thanks to an insane dashboard which seems to work far better in a brochure. The material quality, beyond some of the authetnic materials, is also very weak. While the LS interior is extremely dull, the material quality is superb compared to the Zephyr. The Zephyr interior is also very angular so it is not terribly comfortable or ergonomic.

The real dilemna is not between the Milan and Zephyr, but between the Zephyr and Montego. I believe the Montego offers a much better value and if I had to buy a Ford product, I would probably persue the Montego over the Zephyr.

You may also want to consider the MkZ, which is a substantially improved product thanks to the Duratec 35 and AWD system. That may be enough to convince me to stay, but it all depends on a test drive and how willing I am to pay the same for a MkZ as I'm paying for an LS (which will always outclass any of the CD3 cars). I tend to enjoy 'status' cars and I'm affraid a car like the Zephyr have all the status of a Cadillac Catera, which is to say a vehicle everybody knows is nothing more than a poor man's Lincoln. Would be another story if the car offered some performance advantages (like the CTS) over the larger and more expensive cousins, but the MkZ will simply be a scaled back Lincoln.

Edited by BORG

The Montego may be a little nicer than the Five Hundred, but it is still a utilitarian vehicle. It does have the HID head lights and LED tail lights. My Premier model has all the memory features, side mirrors, pedals, seats, etc, and nice 18" wheels, but it is no substitute for a luxury car (what ever that is). But then....it didn't cost as much as a luxury car either. BTW....I prefer a fixed antenna. Just one more thing not to need fixing.

I just leased a new Milan for my mother in law. She has enough money to floor plan the dealership probably, but the lease deal was compelling. Check it out. Why spend money you don't have to spend?

Edited by Ralph Greene

The Montego may be a little nicer than the Five Hundred, but it is still a utilitarian vehicle. It does have the HID head lights and LED tail lights. My Premier model has all the memory features, side mirrors, pedals, seats, etc, and nice 18" wheels, but it is no substitute for a luxury car (what ever that is). But then....it didn't cost as much as a luxury car either. BTW....I prefer a fixed antenna. Just one more thing not to need fixing.

I just leased a new Milan for my mother in law. She has enough money to floor plan the dealership probably, but the lease deal was compelling. Check it out. Why spend money you don't have to spend?

Hard to believe you prefer one of those fixed antennae........ I can recall my 1998 Taurus SHO had a quarter panel mounted power antenna and that sure improved the look. But nowadays, with antennae imbedded in the windshield or backlight, there's really nothing to go wrong or fix....and it really improves the look.

As far as the Montego goes......I have to buy in Canada. And Ford, with its infinite supply of wisdom (and a bunch of pencil-pushing MBA's who don't understand the car business) decided to stop selling the Mercury line in Canada (except for the Grand Marquis). We now have Ford dealerships; and Ford/Lincoln dealerships.

They do not offer certain equipment that is available in the US.....and, in general, they treat the Canadian market like a necessary evil instead of an opportunity.

Edited by iluvnascar

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to contact the Chicago PVT Manager or equivalent? I really need to know if Job #1 2007 CANADIAN-SOLD Ford Five Hundred vehicles will have factory-equipped Sirius Satellite radio......and if the Fixed Mast antenna has gone away (at least on vehicles equipped with satellite radio)??

As far as the Montego goes......I have to buy in Canada. And Ford, with its infinite supply of wisdom (and a bunch of pencil-pushing MBA's who don't understand the car business) decided to stop selling the Mercury line in Canada (except for the Grand Marquis).

Damn those MBA's. :angry:

I would much rather have a person with a GED or better yet a mechanic make decisions at a multibillion $ Global company!! ;) I love cliche statements about MBA's and car guys running the car business. It is tired and baseless.

Back on topic... I like the 500. There is a black limited in my neighborhood and it looks like a rolling bank vault when it passes by. It is nice and shiny with chrome mirrors. I actually think driving one says alot about the character of the drivers (No age jokes please!). It is a great deal for the money.

Edited by RangeRover