OAC News

otp

link

"On Friday, Oakville employees said they were told by the CAW that 24-hour shifts in the plant's paint shop and body shop would also be cut back to two shifts per day to compensate for the lower output."

"On Friday the company told 350 new hires -- who had yet to report for work on a production shift -- that the creation of the shift was "cancelled," said Lauren More, vice-president of communications for the Canadian arm of the company. "We are cancelling our plans to start the third shift."

"More would not confirm that changes had been made to the paint shop and body shop schedules, or that layoffs will follow. "No employee notifications have been made," she said."

Buyout?

Buyout?

One is being negotiated right now. No word on the final dollar amounts but I was told to expect a buyout that is far better than the last one when OTP was eliminated. I was told over 500 will be eligible for it. And as others have alluded to the 3rd shifts in the remaining departments that have them are dead.....they just haven't finalized the date yet but it will happen by October most likely. So that means 10hrs for Paint & Body, 8hrs everywhere else.

Edited by WTF????

No that means 8 hours in Body and Paint, 6.2 in Final Assembly!

Keep dreaming. I wouldn't mind that either and I work in Body ( I loathe 10hrs) They'll avoid paying short work week at all costs on the money line. If sales aren't high enough to justify 8hr shifts they'll do what they've always done in the past.......balance the production requirements via down weeks.

Edited by WTF????

Midnights won't be laid off for 3 months...that's not in the contract. If the company could do that it would already have happened because they're working less than 5hrs a night right now. What is in the contract is Flex only operators can be laid off for up to 3 months.

Midnights won't be laid off for 3 months...that's not in the contract. If the company could do that it would already have happened because they're working less than 5hrs a night right now. What is in the contract is Flex only operators can be laid off for up to 3 months.

we've been working 5.0 - 6.5 over in my area depending on which side you are on since the middle of last week.

we've been working 5.0 - 6.5 over in my area depending on which side you are on since the middle of last week.

Yeah some areas work more. I was referring to closures.....they've only been building 200-230 a shift and going home on average between 4-5 hrs. Same for paintshop.

Bodybuild on 10 hours will have relief and breaks combined, no added relief people, not sure about paint. Midnights will not be laid off for three months, rather packages will be offered first, then the shift cut , then the remainder of people , according to seniority will stay in body bumping onto a and b shift , and the rest with lower seniority (about 14- 15 years and less) will be blended into trim and chassis from bodybuild. That`s the last i heard in body shop.

.......and the rest with lower seniority (about 14- 15 years and less) will be blended into trim and chassis from bodybuild. That`s the last i heard in body shop.

That's if there are no buyouts. I'm quite sure they came up with the May '93 seniority date as the cutoff based on if the shift was scrapped and no buyouts were handed out otherwise they'd be simply guessing where the date would be if they factored in buyouts which they can't do because you never know how many will take it. The seniority requirement to remain in body/paint (or to simply keep a job at OAC altogether)will depend on a buyout and how many take it.

Edited by WTF????

As a St. Thomas employee I would like to thank those members at OAC who had the balls to vote NO.

This new contract does nothing, absolutely nothing to keep St. Thomas open.

Just saw this, better late than never. It didn't take balls to vote no, that only needed stupidity, as does thinking holding out to next month would have gave us a better deal, saved St. Thomas from the hammer, and stopped the 200+ brothers and sisters that worked their last day (Tuesday) at Windsor Engine. If you believe that, then would you believe it if I said, " no more rain until after Labour Day"? That just about as far fetched as those other 3 dreams you have.

Ed.

Whining? is that what you think it is, and then you call me stupid. Geez are we ever in trouble with people like you on board.

If it's not whining, what is it then? Why even mention COLA? I was going to say the same about Trimdingman commenting on it a bunch of times, but I try to refrain from encouraging him. Oh, and me being on this forum, sorry, truth sometimes hurts.

Ed.

If it's not whining, what is it then? Why even mention COLA? I was going to say the same about Trimdingman commenting on it a bunch of times, but I try to refrain from encouraging him. Oh, and me being on this forum, sorry, truth sometimes hurts.

Ed.

Has anybody ever calculated the value of the COLA that we have given up so far? It must be getting close to a buck an hour. Why hide it? Maybe the information will come in handy for the next round of negotiations. If the company turns itself around by then, we could ask for it to be re-instated. Even if they say no, it would still work in our favor. Is it that the union wants to keep us in the dark about how much we gave up?

Ed.

Why even mention COLA? Well maybe because it would be the most fundamental part of what protects a working class organization like a union from capitalist greed, because it is in large part what seperated the CAW from the UAW.

Much more importantly is how could you not mention it?