Anyone else add lojack to their FEH?

neuroboy002

Having prepped myself beforehand, I went into the finance department with the intent of denying any additional warranties suggested. I did just that - "No" to the extended power train, "Gold Club," or any other royalty-esque titles my ears heard. But then the devil across from me said, "You've made a substantial down payment and this is your first car. I don't mean to scare you, but..." and here is where the pitch for lojack began.

His offer went from $999 to $650 to "look you don't have to get it. I'm just saying your insurance company is not going to re-imburse you for what the car is worth if it is not recovered" to $625. So I complied to those last three digits, mentally thanked my sponsor for the xplan pin yet cursing my weak nerves.

Anyone else get lojack?

I've had lojack on one of my cars, and thankfully never needed it. I know one of my friends had it on thier car and used it, and it worked just fine. Not for a theft. Let's just call it a case of he forgot where he parked his car and walked home. :-) Would I buy it again, prob. not. Did you make a bad call, I don't think so. The system does work. My only question would be that my experiance is from the boston area, and thats where lojack got there start, and I did mine, around that time. What is their coverage area? Are you driving in an area where they have full coverage? I don't know about now, but back then, they did not cover the entire country. I did the same thing you did, got pulled in by the pitch, but never really regreted the choice. But in this day and age, I also kinda figure if they want my car bad enough, they are gonna get it.

My department was involved with the Lojack operation years back when they first came on the scene. In my opinion, I would not buy it. Most of the departments in the NJ area no longer have the Lojack receivers in their vehicles. The problem was that the departments were charged to have them installed. We took them out years ago. We got many false readings on the units and for the most part everyone was just ignoring the indications on the units. Unless they have been improved, they were a simple direction finding system. It took some time to track the stolen vehicle and in a city environment were we were, the tracking of the signal was a pain in the butt due to multipathing off the many tall buildings.

I was never fond of the fact that the system would not operate until the vehicle was reported stolen to the police. that meant for the most part the thieves got a decent head start for the most part. In many cases it was hours before the vehicle was reported meaning the car could be damaged or stripped before located.

On the other hand, the On-Star GPS system was great. On-Star faxed us a map of the exact location of the stolen vehicle. I'm not sure if the stolen vehicle feature works upon the theft alarm being triggered.

Edited by rscalzo