Retrofit '08 Taurus with Sync?

jfp

Is it possible to install Sync in an '08 Taurus that didn't come from the factory with it??

Sync was a must have option for me but the dealer talked me into a car without it with the promise that they would get it installed later. Now I'm finding out that it may not be available and I may be stuck with a car I didn't want. Not a good situation. Hoping for some better news.

• 2 weeks later...

Sync is an application which runs under Windows Automotive. However, it also needs some special hardware like a microphone, appropriate steering wheel buttons, and a hard disk drive. IMHO, retrofitting all that into an existing auto would be pretty cost prohibitive.

• 2 weeks later...
Sync is an application which runs under Windows Automotive. However, it also needs some special hardware like a microphone, appropriate steering wheel buttons, and a hard disk drive. IMHO, retrofitting all that into an existing auto would be pretty cost prohibitive.

A SYNC retrofit kit is availble already for Mustang and Navigator, and the Flex brochure also shows it as a late availability dealer install option as well.

See http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/01/sync-re...r-mustang-next/

A SYNC retrofit kit is availble already for Mustang and Navigator, ...

I read the article you referenced, and it does not claim that Sync is already available for the Mustang. It says "Next in line for a SYNC accessory kit will be the Mustang." Which would be interesting because Sync isn't even available for the 2009 Mustang from the factory (rumor has it that Ford is waiting for the early 2010 design freshening to bring out Sync for the Mustang).

That article also mentions that not all 2008 Navigators will be able to be be updated. Only those built after December 4, 2007. I wonder if something similar might end up being true for the OP's 2008 Taurus?

Also don't forget the other limitations for the retrofit. For Navigators, they MUST already be equipped with the Elite Package that includes the voice-activated navigation radio and rear seat DVD. In other words, all the extra hardware Sync requires. Again, I am not sure that the OP's Taurus has such hardware already.

Edited by Walt

I read the article you referenced, and it does not claim that Sync is already available for the Mustang. It says "Next in line for a SYNC accessory kit will be the Mustang." Which would be interesting because Sync isn't even available for the 2009 Mustang from the factory (rumor has it that Ford is waiting for the early 2010 design freshening to bring out Sync for the Mustang).

That article also mentions that not all 2008 Navigators will be able to be be updated. Only those built after December 4, 2007. I wonder if something similar might end up being true for the OP's 2008 Taurus?

Also don't forget the other limitations for the retrofit. For Navigators, they MUST already be equipped with the Elite Package that includes the voice-activated navigation radio and rear seat DVD. In other words, all the extra hardware Sync requires. Again, I am not sure that the OP's Taurus has such hardware already.

You may be right. I know on the Fordtaurus.net forums, some people have ahd the factory nav units installed as a dealer option. Maybe that's also a requirement. There is dealer demand for SYNC as a dealer installed option, so Ford has to be preparing for it somehow.

Well, Ford proved me wrong. :finger:

Ford just announced SYNC for the 2009 Mustang. I am still confused on who is installing it, the factory or the dealer.

No mention of it being able to be retrofited into older (2005-2008?) Mustangs.

Also, SYNC for the 2009 Mustang is noted as being incompatible with the Mustang's NAV system option. Honestly, I am not sure what SYNC really is, without the LCD display of a NAV system to display song titles, phone contacts, etc. I mean, without the LCD display, IMHO, a lot of the "gee whiz" disappears, no?

Edited by Walt

In my case I decided to go with an aftermarket NAV unit with bluetooth installed by someone that the dealer works with. It's going to cost a lot more but after talking to the manager at the dealer about promises that were made they are treating me right.

Edited by jfp

Well, Ford proved me wrong. :finger:

Ford just announced SYNC for the 2009 Mustang. I am still confused on who is installing it, the factory or the dealer.

No mention of it being able to be retrofited into older (2005-2008?) Mustangs.

Also, SYNC for the 2009 Mustang is noted as being incompatible with the Mustang's NAV system option. Honestly, I am not sure what SYNC really is, without the LCD display of a NAV system to display song titles, phone contacts, etc. I mean, without the LCD display, IMHO, a lot of the "gee whiz" disappears, no?

Yea, a lot of the "gee whiz" does disappear with the big LCD display. I can't figure that one out. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Yea, a lot of the "gee whiz" does disappear with the big LCD display. I can't figure that one out. :huh:

You need to look at the Focus. I have an 08 Focus with the Sync and it has a seperate 2 or 3 line display in an eyebrow like pod on top of the dash. It displays the songs and phone info. It's not as fancy as the big car with the LCD display, but it works well.