Broken 04 Nav door handle

HalH1

:banghead: OK, I need help again on deciding to take this in for service or trying it myself. The internal drivers side door handle was a little squirrely for a day and tonight it just stopped functioning. Outside handle still works, but that is it. I read there were some 07 recalls for broken springs but I have never had a door handle brake on me. Is this an easy repair (new door handle unit replacement) or do you need to know how the whole thing works to diagnose the problem and repair. I really only saw what appeared to be a handle retaining screw under the latch but that was it. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated :doh: . keep waiting for some Colombian Drug lord to steal it from me but until then I should probably fix it.

OK, had to take it in and it was a broken interior handle assembly....bend over and cough up $140.00. I guess Lincoln should consider using METAL not plastic on a frequently used, moving part.

Edited by HalH1

:banghead: OK, I need help again on deciding to take this in for service or trying it myself. The internal drivers side door handle was a little squirrely for a day and tonight it just stopped functioning. Outside handle still works, but that is it. I read there were some 07 recalls for broken springs but I have never had a door handle brake on me. Is this an easy repair (new door handle unit replacement) or do you need to know how the whole thing works to diagnose the problem and repair. I really only saw what appeared to be a handle retaining screw under the latch but that was it. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated :doh: . keep waiting for some Colombian Drug lord to steal it from me but until then I should probably fix it.

OK, had to take it in and it was a broken interior handle assembly....bend over and cough up $140.00. I guess Lincoln should consider using METAL not plastic on a frequently used, moving part.

Actually I was thinking it would cost more than that. And yes, plastic breaks, but it's cheaper and weighs less. So, no metal for us.

Actually I was thinking it would cost more than that. And yes, plastic breaks, but it's cheaper and weighs less. So, no metal for us.

OK, I get it saving weight is gas efficient, but consumer satisfaction vs. saving .002 mpg for the increased weight might be worth reconsidering?