Power deployable running boards

I have a 2006 Mountaineer Premier V8 w/ AWD. I live in Wisconsin...thus the AWD. I've owned the vehicle for a little over 2 years...so it has seen 2 winters. Recently, I noticed the running boards were becoming slower and slower in deploying and retracting. The passenger one got to the point where it stop retracting fully. When I took it in, I was told they would lubricate hinges for both sides...and the passenger side needed the running board assembly trans. replaced. Reason: corrosion from salt and moisture. That worries me because this is the last year of my warranty....and I don't want to be replacing running board assembly trans. every other year. Has anyone experienced issues with deployable running boards? Wisconsin liberally salts iced roads in winter.....so I shouldn't drive my Mountaineer in the rain or winter? The main purpose for me buying it was for those snowy Wisconsin winters.

Living in Wisconsin,

dusMerc

• 2 months later...

I don't think it has anything to do with salt or moisture. I live in GA and one board just quit, and the dealer told us the motor was faulty.

Then recently the other board slowed then quit. I've seen several posts on the web about this.

My suggestion is that you go to your dealer and have them replace both motors. It's something Ford should be aware of if its happening as much as I see.

G

• 8 months later...
I have a 2006 Mountaineer Premier V8 w/ AWD. I live in Wisconsin...thus the AWD. I've owned the vehicle for a little over 2 years...so it has seen 2 winters. Recently, I noticed the running boards were becoming slower and slower in deploying and retracting. The passenger one got to the point where it stop retracting fully. When I took it in, I was told they would lubricate hinges for both sides...and the passenger side needed the running board assembly trans. replaced. Reason: corrosion from salt and moisture. That worries me because this is the last year of my warranty....and I don't want to be replacing running board assembly trans. every other year. Has anyone experienced issues with deployable running boards? Wisconsin liberally salts iced roads in winter.....so I shouldn't drive my Mountaineer in the rain or winter? The main purpose for me buying it was for those snowy Wisconsin winters.

Living in Wisconsin,

dusMerc

I don't think it has anything to do with salt or moisture. I live in GA and one board just quit, and the dealer told us the motor was faulty.

Then recently the other board slowed then quit. I've seen several posts on the web about this.

My suggestion is that you go to your dealer and have them replace both motors. It's something Ford should be aware of if its happening as much as I see.

G

ihave all most same my brakets on runnihg boards decompouse