New Mazdaspeed3 caught testing at the "Ring"

Ford-150

I'm betting on the 2.5L. Mazda seems to be moving to the bigger is better attitude like everyone else right now. Maybe it is when it comes to sales so I can't fault them.

well it looks like it is going to be an engine with a top mounted intercooler(hood scoop)

Edited by Ford-150

The challenge for Mazda will be to get the Speed3 equal or past the performance of the current Cobalt SS, while providing a better ride. Currently, the Mazda provides a much worse ride than the Cobalt and much worse performance. No doubt though, that the interior is better on the Speed3.

Well, I would imagine that the powerplant will be a turbo 2.5L I4 (probably Mazda's version of said engine) tuned to deliver about 25-40 more hp and torque over the current MS3 setup. The ride won't be altered too much as the basic suspension isn't getting a major overhaul, just a thorough tweaking. I would expect it to come in near the Cobalt SS on performance and ride, but that the cobalt may still be a bit ahead of it in that department. The kicker will be that the MS3 will look better on the outside and the inside.

To best the Cobalt SS by a noticeable amount, the MS3 would likely have to go AWD. While the platform can support it, they likely won't do it due to the weight penalty.

To best the Cobalt SS by a noticeable amount, the MS3 would likely have to go AWD. While the platform can support it, they likely won't do it due to the weight penalty.

No need for AWD...the WRX, and Lancer could not even come close to the SS performance numbers.

AWD is not necessary.

I drove a 07 MS3 and a 07 MS6 back to back while looking at cars over the summer. While the MS3 was a blast to drive it was also more difficult to control than the MS6. If the MS3 was available with AWD it would make it a better overall car. A used MS6 is still on my short list of cars to buy.

it was on my short list too.....i was actually really close to get one but......the V8 hit me

• 2 months later...
No need for AWD...the WRX, and Lancer could not even come close to the SS performance numbers.

AWD is not necessary.

Considering my 07 M3 GT 5door is almost impossible to control once it starts to rain a bit outside and driving faster then 45 with snow/ice is out of the question I would get a new one instantly if it had AWD.

AWD is not necessary.

In MotorTrend a few months ago, the Cobalt SS was just a tad slower than the more expensive EVO X MR, but the Cobalt is much lighter than the EVO that only makes about 30 more HP. Now, when you start racing these two cars on wet surfaces or even upping the power in them the AWD will make a difference and have more of a handling advantage.

Considering my 07 M3 GT 5door is almost impossible to control once it starts to rain a bit outside and driving faster then 45 with snow/ice is out of the question I would get a new one instantly if it had AWD.

I agree, I have several buddies with modded FWD cars that torque steer like crazy. I've been waiting for years now for Ford to get off thier ass and make a exciting sport compact. They have failed to do so, but I'm not a fan of FWD performance cars so until they offer a AWD Focus or the MSP3 becomes AWD I will have to wait. :banghead: