2008 FEH Weird Noise In Dash

metastable

I have a 5 month old '08 FEH 4WD with the NAV system. It has a really weird noise eminating from the center console near the NAV system that sounds reminiscent of an old computer floppy drive.

The noise only appears sometimes (more frequenlt lately), and it only seems to appear when the car is "on" (I hear it in electric mode when the engine is off). I don't hear it when I turn the ignition to the accessory position, even though the radio is still active.

I have tried removing all CD's from the player including the navigation DVD since it sounds similar to a CD or floppy drive when it is seeking for data (kind of electro-mechanical). The noise is still there, and is just loud enough to be noticeable when crawling along in electric mode in traffic.

Questions: Any idea what is causing this noise? Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Metastable, I have the same issue. I have a 2008 4wd FEH that is about 10 months old. I started noticing the sound a few months back. At first I thought it was the CD/DVD/NAV player but, when you have the engine off the NAV doesn't make any noise.

It sounds like its coming from behind the center right vent...and sounds like a disk drive. My guess at this point is something to do with HVAC controls.

Anyone have a guess on this? I thought of mentioning it to my dealer but the sound isn't always there. Dang nabbit.

Metastable, I have the same issue. I have a 2008 4wd FEH that is about 10 months old. I started noticing the sound a few months back. At first I thought it was the CD/DVD/NAV player but, when you have the engine off the NAV doesn't make any noise.

It sounds like its coming from behind the center right vent...and sounds like a disk drive. My guess at this point is something to do with HVAC controls.

Anyone have a guess on this? I thought of mentioning it to my dealer but the sound isn't always there. Dang nabbit.

I've only had my vehicle for 600 miles, but noticed it also. Seems tied to whether fuel is called for or not.

My sound is coming from same area, has an "electronic buzz" to it, almost like a harmonic vibration which alot of times is linked to speed or rpm's, but I do not believe that is the case, I believe it is tied to demand for fuel.

I get my "buzz" sound both applying and letting off the gas pedal, and it does not do it in EV, only does it when ICE is running or is called on. Does not seem to do it during transition from ICE to EV only.

• 2 months later...

I haven't noticed this noise nearly as much during the winter time. I think I've isolated it to the air conditioning being on. Try a little experiment switching between AC and heat and see if you can get the noise to occur. It doesn't happen every time.

I'm pretty sure its a HVAC issue...

Anyone with any suggestions?

• 7 months later...

We just started noticing the same floppy drive seeking type noise behind the vent the other day too. Only ours is an '08 V6. It's only there when the A/C is on and almost sounds like the inner vent door might be clicking from the air moving past it. It's definitely not radio related. Anyone ever find out what it is and how to get rid of it?