Backup Sensors and narrow garage openings

fmorriso

I have a two car garage with two separate doors. After opening the door on my side, when I put my 2009 FEHL into Reverse, but before the vehicle even begins moving, the sensors immediately begin chirping their warning signal. They continue chirping until the rear bumper clears the door opening.

Is there a way to "detune" just the outer pair of sensors to make them not do this? I realize that there's going to be a trade-off that could result in a parking lot fender bender from those detuned sensors, but my wife refuses to drive the vehicle because of this "feature". Oh wait a minute, maybe that's not so bad after all. :happy feet:

I have a two car garage with two separate doors. After opening the door on my side, when I put my 2009 FEHL into Reverse, but before the vehicle even begins moving, the sensors immediately begin chirping their warning signal. They continue chirping until the rear bumper clears the door opening.

Is there a way to "detune" just the outer pair of sensors to make them not do this? I realize that there's going to be a trade-off that could result in a parking lot fender bender from those detuned sensors, but my wife refuses to drive the vehicle because of this "feature". Oh wait a minute, maybe that's not so bad after all. :happy feet:

Hi fmorriso. :D No, there is no way to "detune" or lower the sensitivity. All you may be able to do is disable them, and I am not sure what disabling the outside sensors would do to the system as a whole.

Your wife will need to learn to put up with the "chirping" for the six feet until the bumper clears the door opening (or not drive the vehicle :happy feet: ). Ladies choice. :cheerleader:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi fmorriso. :D No, there is no way to "detune" or lower the sensitivity. All you would be bale to do is disable them, and I am not sure what disabling the outside sensors would do to the system as a whole.

Your wife will need to learn to put up with the "chirping" for the six feet until the bumper clears the door opening (or not drive the vehicle :happy feet: ). Ladies choice. :cheerleader:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks. I guess duct tape won't work either ..... for the sensors, not the wife.

Thanks. I guess duct tape won't work either ..... for the sensors, not the wife.

We have had this "issue" with all of our cars with back up sensors. Its not that big of a deal (only a couple of feet) and actually makes you pay attention more when you back out of the garage. I never thought of it as a problem, it gave me comfort to know they were working.

Good luck.

How about you just turn them off while backing out of your garage and then engage them again after you clear the door?

With all the great electronics in the Nav system to get used to, I didn't realize there is a way to turn off those sensors. Let me do some more reading in the owner's manual to see how it's done. If it's an easy toggle-type of switch vs. a complicated drill-down through five screens to find it, then you may be on to a great suggestion.

With all the great electronics in the Nav system to get used to, I didn't realize there is a way to turn off those sensors. Let me do some more reading in the owner's manual to see how it's done. If it's an easy toggle-type of switch vs. a complicated drill-down through five screens to find it, then you may be on to a great suggestion.

The switch is at the bottom of the center stack kind of hidden. It’s next to the USB port. There’s 2 buttons there between the USB port and cigarette lighter adaptor, ones for the traction control system the other is to turn off the sensors.

The switch is at the bottom of the center stack kind of hidden. It’s next to the USB port. There’s 2 buttons there between the USB port and cigarette lighter adaptor, ones for the traction control system the other is to turn off the sensors.

What he said! Sorry I did not include that in my earlier post. I thought you knew there was a switch there for it.