New 09 Escape Rims

GenX

the 09 escape limited come with a 17" optional wheel ,chrome 5 star .

what do think of it ? the standard one is 16" bright Alm. but wider tire

(235 vs 225) . is it worth the extra $700 .

I don't believe they changed the wheel since 08. It is a chrome clad and is a plastic cover over the steel wheel. I found it ugly and would not consider any Escape with the 17".

If you feel that you can sell the stocks then go aftermarket, there is no way that the 17's chromed are 700 more than standard, its a matter of want.

Cost per tire should not be more than 20 each, wheels maybe 30 more each, totalling 200 more.

Also, if you live where calcium cloride and salt is used in the winter, the durability of the Aluminum's are much greater.

Crome clad aluminum will not look good in 5 years when involving the winter where-as the turned and polished Aluminum will look as good as you personally have taken care of them.

If you feel that you can sell the stocks then go aftermarket, there is no way that the 17's chromed are 700 more than standard, its a matter of want.

Cost per tire should not be more than 20 each, wheels maybe 30 more each, totalling 200 more.

Also, if you live where calcium cloride and salt is used in the winter, the durability of the Aluminum's are much greater.

Crome clad aluminum will not look good in 5 years when involving the winter where-as the turned and polished Aluminum will look as good as you personally have taken care of them.

Wheels

Chrome Alloy Wheels, 17-In. X 7-In. Invoice $591 MSRP $695

Edited by GenX

Wheels

Chrome Alloy Wheels, 17-In. X 7-In. Invoice $591 MSRP $695

I think you mis-took my point, I understand that they are 695 more, my point is that Ford's cost is not more than 200 more than standard, and that they are overcharging based on people's want, and not need.

I will add that crome-clad aluminum's are notorious for having balance issues also. First you take a cast object that has out of balance issues to begin with, not bad mind you, but still present.

Then add a controlled coating which will have variance no matter what you do to prevent imperfections, I'm not saying it happens alot, not even 2 out of every 100 wheels, but the odds of it happening are greater every time you add variance to any process.\

I've just always felt that the cast and then turned aluminums are a better choice for both performance and durability.

I think you mis-took my point, I understand that they are 695 more, my point is that Ford's cost is not more than 200 more than standard, and that they are overcharging based on people's want, and not need.

I will add that crome-clad aluminum's are notorious for having balance issues also. First you take a cast object that has out of balance issues to begin with, not bad mind you, but still present.

Then add a controlled coating which will have variance no matter what you do to prevent imperfections, I'm not saying it happens alot, not even 2 out of every 100 wheels, but the odds of it happening are greater every time you add variance to any process.\

I've just always felt that the cast and then turned aluminums are a better choice for both performance and durability.

thanks for the info scott.. :D

• 5 months later...

Got my 09 Escape in Oct 08 and looked at my chrome clad wheels...very dull and had to use a tough wax to take the oxidiation and builup off.. looks pitted in spots as well....also the steel around the rubber tire next to the clad looks bad..looks like its corroding under the film placed on top of steel....going to mention it at my next oil change....I live in southern ontario and yes there was a lot of STUFF used on the roads this winter....

I refused to even consider a Escape with the 17 inch wheel option. I wanted a cast wheel, not a plastic cover. Seems like they could do something better than that on a top of the line model.

Same here. No way I would even consider paying nearly $1k more for those things. In fact even if they were to write off that option at no charge to me, I STILL would rather have the 16", not that those are that great either.

Same here. No way I would even consider paying nearly $1k more for those things. In fact even if they were to write off that option at no charge to me, I STILL would rather have the 16", not that those are that great either.

In Oct/Nov last year when I was looking for a '09 Escape, Limited, V6, 4WD, AdvanceTrac and tow package on the lot. They always had the 17" wheel option.

Edited by wptski

• 2 weeks later...

My '09 Limited also has the chrome clad wheels. I didn't realize they were plastic covers on aluminum wheels until I purchased the car and had it home. At first I was turned off on the plastic covered wheels, but they did shine up really nice with some Mother's chrome polish. In fact, they looked pretty darn good.

A week or two later I asked if the dealer could replace the wheels with something else, but the only thing they could swap them with were 16 inch wheels, which of course I didn't want. Ever since I've been noticing even more expensive cars having the chrome clad wheels, so I don't feel as bad about them anymore. Maybe it's an Industry trend to reduce costs.

I live in the south so I'm guessing the chrome clad will hold up fairly well. Also, I know someone in the North that had the chrome clad wheels and he thought they held up pretty good in the snow/salt over the years.

With my Escape's dark charcoal color, I think the chrome wheels set off the car nicely. If I were to replace the clad wheels, I would definitely look at chrome again. But, that new sport package's black plastic clad wheels look pretty good too...Maybe a good paint shop will come in handy someday.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else who has the 17 inch rims have the protective film on the aluminum surrounding the tire coming off...mine has all 4 rims experiencing this , noticed this after only 6 months...

Seven months here and no problem with them.