First Problem

rscalzo

While driving home yeasterday I noticed the Check Engine light was on. while the car was running fine, it still means a trip to the dealer. Somewhat aggrivating after only 5200 miles.

I can say the dealer scheduled a service apointment within a day.

Is it an '09 or an '08? If it's an '08 it can be as simple as a gas cap that's not sealed properly. Remove and replace. With the new capless ones on the '09s....hmmmmmm. 90% of the time you can reset a check engine by pulling the battery cables for 10 minutes. It soft boots the ecm.

bj

Edited by vnmous1

as simple as a gas cap that's not sealed properly

The dealer pulled the codes which was P0456 which was a evaporative emmissions fault. The service tech told me exactly that...it might have been the gas cap. As I had problems with my wife's VW due to the cap not being on tight enough, I always turn it several times when I fill it up. In any case the light is off and has not returned. Total time about two hours in the dealer. Actually it was pleasant. the serive area has a great coffee machine and cable tv, internet, etc. I bs'ed with the salemen who sold me the car a few months back. I was surprised to see a 07 & 08 Shelby Mustang on the floor. Even more surprised to see a new 07 F-150.

Edited by rscalzo

• 3 months later...
The dealer pulled the codes which was 5059 which was a evaporative emissions fault. The service tech told me exactly that...it might have been the gas cap. As I had problems with my wife's VW due to the cap not being on tight enough, I always turn it several times when I fill it up. In any case the light is off and has not returned. Total time about two hours in the dealer. Actually it was pleasant. the service area has a great coffee machine and cable TV, Internet, etc. I bs'ed with the salesman who sold me the car a few months back. I was surprised to see a 07 & 08 Shelby Mustang on the floor. Even more surprised to see a new 07 F-150.

Check Engine light is back on once again. Trip three back to the dealer in 8000 miles. Most likely the same leak in the emissions system. the last time they replaced the gas cap. Hopefully this is the last time. It's getting old.

Back from the dealer. Once again a leak from the gas cap area. The seal was folded over. The Service Tech told me the lanyard tends to pull the cap off center due to the short length of the cable. this causes the seal to get screwed up. I suggested cutting the cable. The tech just smiled. while he agreed somewhat, he couldn't do it himself as a Ford employee.

Edited by rscalzo

• 1 month later...
Check Engine light is back on once again. Trip three back to the dealer in 8000 miles. Most likely the same leak in the emissions system. the last time they replaced the gas cap. Hopefully this is the last time. It's getting old.

Back from the dealer. Once again a leak from the gas cap area. The seal was folded over. The Service Tech told me the lanyard tends to pull the cap off center due to the short length of the cable. this causes the seal to get screwed up. I suggested cutting the cable. The tech just smiled. while he agreed somewhat, he couldn't do it himself as a Ford employee.

I don't have that problem because I don't have a gas cap. :happy feet:

By the way, I think that's one of the smartest things they've done in years. With my '07 GT500 had it.

bj

I don't have that problem because I don't have a gas cap. :happy feet:

By the way, I think that's one of the smartest things they've done in years. With my '07 GT500 had it.

bj

The service manager told me that the problem is the lanyard in many cases. It is too shorts and showed me a very simple way to avoid future problems. Just slightly close the cover taking some tension off the gas cap when reinstalling. Works like a charm and no further problems.

One concern I had with the new cap is what happens if it loses the seal? Is it a big job to repair or replace?

The service manager told me that the problem is the lanyard in many cases. It is too shorts and showed me a very simple way to avoid future problems. Just slightly close the cover taking some tension off the gas cap when reinstalling. Works like a charm and no further problems. My dealer's service crew has really been outstanding and is concerned what the customers think of their service quality.

One concern I had with the new cap is what happens if it loses the seal? Is it a big job to repair or replace?