What could Ford do with technology such as this?

What could Ford do with platform technology such as this? Could it be useful in RWD programs? How could this improve things such as interior space, efficiency and other concerns? In what ways would this have an effect on development and production costs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_MLP

I've mentioned this elsewhere; in the RWD post I think. Useful for FWD/AWD platform, but not useful for RWD platform. Ford US, Europe, and Japan are mostly committed to latitudinal engines/transmissions for FWD and I don't see that changing to Audi's longitudinal arrangement. But for Audi, it was a way to reduce the front overhang. Chrysler did go with longitudinal FWD for a bit with their large cars before going to RWD.

The reason it's not useful for RWD is that you still virtually the whole engine in front of the front wheels which results in a high proportion of weight on the front wheels. If you're doing RWD, you move the wheels forward for better weight balance and to reduce the unattractive FWD front overhang. The AWD system in a rear driver comes off the transmission and goes forward with a shaft through the oil pan.

As far as interior space, I don't think you're going to find much better percentage utilization than a latitudinal FWD.

And to repeat some stuff from my earlier posts. There is RWD, and AWD based on RWD. There is FWD and AWD based on FWD. But there is not RWD AND FWD on the same platform (with the sole exception of the Transit as far as I know).

zipnzap, do you have a brother named mlhm5 who schills for Volkswagen? Because you are starting to sound just like him.

Not really. I was just wondering if things like this and the Space Frame were something Ford could use.

I've mentioned this elsewhere; in the RWD post I think. Useful for FWD/AWD platform, but not useful for RWD platform. Ford US, Europe, and Japan are mostly committed to latitudinal engines/transmissions for FWD and I don't see that changing to Audi's longitudinal arrangement. But for Audi, it was a way to reduce the front overhang. Chrysler did go with longitudinal FWD for a bit with their large cars before going to RWD.

The reason it's not useful for RWD is that you still virtually the whole engine in front of the front wheels which results in a high proportion of weight on the front wheels. If you're doing RWD, you move the wheels forward for better weight balance and to reduce the unattractive FWD front overhang. The AWD system in a rear driver comes off the transmission and goes forward with a shaft through the oil pan.

As far as interior space, I don't think you're going to find much better percentage utilization than a latitudinal FWD.

And to repeat some stuff from my earlier posts. There is RWD, and AWD based on RWD. There is FWD and AWD based on FWD. But there is not RWD AND FWD on the same platform (with the sole exception of the Transit as far as I know).

Besides space, are there reasons Ford can't use this in updates to the B, C, D3 and EUCD platforms? What about performance or costs? Would it be useful in a Focus RS?

Edited by zipnzap