The link below is to the 2006 Michigan State Highway Patrol Police Vehicle Tests. The test is considered one of the premiere tests in the nation for rating police vehicles.

Note that the Hemi Charger/Magnum won out in almost all performance test (including fuel economy). The CVPI was more evenly matched with the V6 Charger.

Also, from what I'm hearing, Dodge is actually making Charger pricing reasonable. In fact, I've heard that in some areas (Georgia) the Charger is priced cheaper than the CVPI. I have yet to confirm the price thing, but the vehicle test stands on its own.

Just some food for thought.

PS. This is kind of a large PDF link

2006 Michigan State Highway Patrol Police Vehicle Test (Large PDF)

I haven't had the chance, unfortunatly, to test the Police Charger yet. A PD next to mine is currently testing one (I need to sneak over there...).

This weekend I was assigned an '06 CVPI for my shift (it is a replacement for an '05 that a drunk rear-ended and totalled on the highway - no fire, by the way). It had the 3.55 rear vs. the 3.27's our '05's had. I coulden't tell much difference.

I could tell a lot of difference between the '05's 16" wheels and the '06's 17". The '06 seems to track straighter and seems more responsive. Most of my driving was on city streets, but I did run code on the highway to a rollover accident - the CVPI felt very stable.

At low speeds while turning, the steering seemed to get very heavy, which did not happen on the '05's.

I don't have much use for the tach on the '06's and as a result the speedo is smaller and harder to see at a glance.

The link below is to the 2006 Michigan State Highway Patrol Police Vehicle Tests. The test is considered one of the premiere tests in the nation for rating police vehicles.

Note that the Hemi Charger/Magnum won out in almost all performance test (including fuel economy). The CVPI was more evenly matched with the V6 Charger.

Also, from what I'm hearing, Dodge is actually making Charger pricing reasonable. In fact, I've heard that in some areas (Georgia) the Charger is priced cheaper than the CVPI. I have yet to confirm the price thing, but the vehicle test stands on its own.

Just some food for thought.

PS. This is kind of a large PDF link

2006 Michigan State Highway Patrol Police Vehicle Test (Large PDF)

Well now Hawker, the Michigan test results have been up for months: I was looking closely, but the Charger trunk would encounter problems with my golf clubs. Where is the room for needed ps equipment in the unit, not to mention a donut ridden ass..? It ain't there (I sat in it) doncha know.

:)

I just reviewed everything there from MSP also.

If you really look at the results, all the cars are about equally matched. The only major difference comes in with the top speeds CV: 130 DC 5.7: 150.

Braking distances are about even, as are acceleration and deceleration rates.

So if you look at the results from that standpoint, it's a matter of what is most important: Interior room, trunk space, etc. If a larger car isn't needed, get a Impala. If you need trunk space, get a CV.

Well now Hawker, the Michigan test results have been up for months: I was looking closely, but the Charger trunk would encounter problems with my golf clubs. Where is the room for needed ps equipment in the unit, not to mention a donut ridden ass..? It ain't there (I sat in it) doncha know.

:)

• 3 weeks later...