F450/550 Truck Bed

SixGun

I'm considering getting a slide-in truck camper and have decided that the GVWR of a F350 will just not do it.

Couple of questions;

1. Are the F450/550 made on the same line as the 250/350?

2. Can a truck bed be purchased from Ford to go on a F450/550?

3. About how much would a bed cost?

I know quite a few companies do the conversion but it can't be that difficult to do.

Greg

More of a problem than you might think. The F-450 has a longer wheelbase than the F-350 does, so it you were to mount a F-350 bed on an F-450, you would have quite a gap between the bed and cab. Ford does not have a pickup bed for the F-450, though a few companies make 5th. wheel 'puller beds' for them. I don't think that these beds, which are usually made of fiberglass, would be strong enough to mount a slide-in camper.

The 450 has a 4" longer cab-axle length than the 350's. Some companies cut it down (shorten fram and driveline) and put on the pickup bed. In my opionion this is the correct way to do it. Other companies put ina fiberglass space piece that is molded like the bed to fill the gap. Either way I think they charge upwards of $5000 or so, but if you figure bed cost, paint, fab, probably not a bad price.