New partner to keep Saturn afloat

TomServo92

Saturn makes me laugh. Look at the huge pile of money GM has dumped onto this compost heap. It makes every other failed brand that will come out of GM look like nothing. Even the old brands like Pontiac a least performed at some point. Has Saturn EVER performed.

1. Create unique brand with styling suspiciously close to Oldsmobile.

2. turn Oldsmobile into "Import fighter"with styling even closer to Saturn's

3. Blame Oldsmobile, cancel brand in favor of Saturn. Pay big bucks to Olds dealers.

4. Remove all uniqueness from Saturn, make it a brand that is positioned in the same spot as Pontiac without "sporty :lol: " moniker.

5. Saturn is now Oldsmobile.

6. Olds customers buy Toyota Avalons, find they are a good substitute for Oldsmobiles.

7. Pour new product into Saturn at the expense of Chevy, Pontiac, and Buick.

8. Realize nobody is buying Saturns, import Opels. Few actual Saturn customers will not buy the cars.

9. GM goes bankrupt.

10. Cancel Saturn, blame customers

That is a huge amount of money and time wasted when you could have changed Oldmobile's name to Saturn and imported Opels from the start.

Step # 8 is the big one. I knew Saturn customers. They liked the L-series cars, even though conventional wisdom said they were crap, and went cold on Saturn the minute the Aura appeared. They acted the same way when the ION became Astra. Nobody I knew who owned a Saturn wanted an Astra.

Price is important. Saturn customers were lured to an ECONOMY car company. When Saturn became Oldsmobile, it abandoned its old format for the "just a bit more expensive than a chevy for no reason" format which has served GM so freakin' well.