Honda doubles profits, sales increase

bec5150

It must be nice to shift part of your pension obligations to the GOVERNMENT. No mention just how much that amounted to. I've always wondered if toy/niss/hon shift a part of their research and development costs to the GOVERNMENT. Just how involved is government in the financial picture over there? How about shifting part of your medical costs to the GOVERNMENT? Now I know what the Nissan commercial tag line means. SHIFT - your ride, your pension, your health care, research................... :shrug:

It must be nice to shift part of your pension obligations to the GOVERNMENT. No mention just how much that amounted to. I've always wondered if toy/niss/hon shift a part of their research and development costs to the GOVERNMENT. Just how involved is government in the financial picture over there? How about shifting part of your medical costs to the GOVERNMENT? Now I know what the Nissan commercial tag line means. SHIFT - your ride, your pension, your health care, research................... :shrug:
Isn't this what industry does in this country by relying on Medicare/Medicaid to provide for part or all of retirement medical care? Doesn't Social Security provide for "part" of pension obligations?

I'm sure range will have a field day explaining this one :rolleyes:

Pretty much any industrialized country in the world has government sponsored healthcare and pensions. The US used to have a tax advantage by letting private companies take care of these, but now that the debt have ballooned so much over the last 20 years, it's essentially gone. So now there is no more tax advantage and no longer a competitive advantage. That's not Honda's (or Renault's, or VW's, or Hyundai's) fault.

I'm sure range will have a field day explaining this one :rolleyes:

Pretty much any industrialized country in the world has government sponsored healthcare and pensions. The US used to have a tax advantage by letting private companies take care of these, but now that the debt have ballooned so much over the last 20 years, it's essentially gone. So now there is no more tax advantage and no longer a competitive advantage. That's not Honda's (or Renault's, or VW's, or Hyundai's) fault.

All countries may have some sort of social safety net but not all to the same degree. I don't have the exact figures but I'd venture to guess the level of government support in Japan is much greater than the US.