VDOT Paints Zig Zag Lines

RangerM

Only Government.

Behind the wheel, you want the least amount of distraction possible. So why is a local transportation agency painting crooked lines on the road on purpose?

The Virginia Department of Transportation says it's part of a safety campaign to get drivers to slow down in a high pedestrian and bicycle area. The 500 feet of zig-zagging lines are painted on the ground on Belmont Ridge Road, where it intersects with the Washington and Old Dominion trail in Loudoun County.

"It is a low cost strategy to get motorists to slow down as they approach the bike trail and pedestrian path," says VDOT's Mike Salmon. "While at first motorists may be a little disoriented, the main point is to get them to pay attention and slow down through that area."

150889.jpg

Sounds cheap and effective to me. Beats them putting up roundabouts and other obstacle courses as they have around here in populated areas.

yeah

unfortunately some little old lady who shouldn't be driving will come upon it and try to follow the lines, crashing into another car or something. lawsuits ensue

yeah

unfortunately some little old lady who shouldn't be driving will come upon it and try to follow the lines, crashing into another car or something. lawsuits ensue

Why don't they do like Kramer did, turn a 3 lane into a 2 lane, so you have a nice wide lane to travel in comfortably. It's like flying first class.

First they want to shrink the cars, now the lanes and soon a 12oz. bottle of coke to 10.

WHERE WILL IT STOP?

Sounds cheap and effective to me. Beats them putting up roundabouts and other obstacle courses as they have around here in populated areas.

+1 - I wonder if it works - those ribs just outside the road edge lines will "wake" up many if they start to wonder off the pavement.

I typically see the opposite. Most vending machines now that vend bottles do it in the 20 oz variety.

+1 - it's hard to find one that even has the smaller 12 oz ones - unless they are cans - and most seem to have gone to the plastic 16/20 oz variety.

those ribs just outside the road edge lines will "wake" up many if they start to wonder off the pavement.

Another excellent low-cost innovation that is widely used here. It is being used more often here also on double-yellow lines between opposing lanes of traffic.