2009 Flex Upfitting Potential - Thoughts/Advice?

Having just taken delivery of a 2009 Flex Limited AWD, I realize that I've chosen to run the end-of-model-year/current incentive gauntlet whereby I may have jumped the gun into buying myself OUT of some of the features and benefits of the newer model year for the sake of having acted too soon. Yes, I know... welcome to the world of automobiles, PC, and digital camera buyers. :)

Anyway, with the economy helping stifle the sales of vehicles in its segment, I suspect any changes or improvements to the 2010 will be very specific in nature, like the already-announced 3.5L Eco Boost engine. I certainly don't foresee a great deal of changes that would require a great deal of retooling investment. Anyway, one feature that's been announced as part of at least two 2010 FMC vehicles that I know of, to which I've become hopelessly addicted after driving other vehicles that offer it is Adaptive Cruise Control.

Having just gone through the education process of learning how a 2009 Flex could be upfitted through individual parts to provide the towing package, and learning of others who added the Navigation System by ordering the individual components and having them installed at their local dealer, I'm now wondering if it may be possible to add the Adaptive Cruise system from the 2010 MKT (when it becomes available) or the 2010 Flex if it happens to include Adaptive Cruise as an option.

I'd appreciate knowing what others who may have considered or done similar upfits in the past think about this idea and if it's likely to be possible. Adaptive Cruise can SUCH a tremendous benefit to those who use Cruise Control often in driving conditions that lend themselves to its use. It may also help protect my Flex's front passenger floor pan from my wife's continual stomping of the phantom brake pedal on long drives.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight.

Having just taken delivery of a 2009 Flex Limited AWD, I realize that I've chosen to run the end-of-model-year/current incentive gauntlet whereby I may have jumped the gun into buying myself OUT of some of the features and benefits of the newer model year for the sake of having acted too soon. Yes, I know... welcome to the world of automobiles, PC, and digital camera buyers. :)

Anyway, with the economy helping stifle the sales of vehicles in its segment, I suspect any changes or improvements to the 2010 will be very specific in nature, like the already-announced 3.5L Eco Boost engine. I certainly don't foresee a great deal of changes that would require a great deal of retooling investment. Anyway, one feature that's been announced as part of at least two 2010 FMC vehicles that I know of, to which I've become hopelessly addicted after driving other vehicles that offer it is Adaptive Cruise Control.

Having just gone through the education process of learning how a 2009 Flex could be upfitted through individual parts to provide the towing package, and learning of others who added the Navigation System by ordering the individual components and having them installed at their local dealer, I'm now wondering if it may be possible to add the Adaptive Cruise system from the 2010 MKT (when it becomes available) or the 2010 Flex if it happens to include Adaptive Cruise as an option.

I'd appreciate knowing what others who may have considered or done similar upfits in the past think about this idea and if it's likely to be possible. Adaptive Cruise can SUCH a tremendous benefit to those who use Cruise Control often in driving conditions that lend themselves to its use. It may also help protect my Flex's front passenger floor pan from my wife's continual stomping of the phantom brake pedal on long drives.

To my knowledge, Flex doesn't/didn't offer Adaptive Cruise Control.....I probably would've ordered it (rain sensing wipers would've been nice too.....perhaps another possible addition?). Anyway, I would perhaps consider putting it in, depending on how much it'd be if it could be done, although I don't take all that many long highway trips to justify it (I generally travel ~40 miles a day on the highway, but there's usually lots of traffic, where it may not be the best/safest place to use ACC). My only other concern would be the possibility that something were hooked up wrong by you (or whoever installed the system) which leads to the system not working.

I hope others may have info on this...

:lol: to the bolded part......I know I've done that before.....

The 2009 Flex didn't offer Adaptive Cruise; whether it will be available on the 2010 is yet to be seen. The fact that the 2010 Taurus will offer it is at least a positive sign that it won't be excluded from the Ford nameplate entirely, and that it is being offered in the MKT is a positive sign that the innards may be likely to "fit" within the Flex infrastructure.

Of course, it's more than just the throttle controller and instrument switches; Adaptive Cruise also requires the sensors and perhaps additional indicators to reflect more than a binary "On/Off" status.

I have to admit that I had no idea so much "customization" and the creating of "hybrid" (in the non-electrical sense) feature combinations occurred at dealer part desks and service bays. Of course, I wouldn't risk having it installed anywhere other than a Ford dealer. As you've pointed out, a feature like Adaptive Cruise is something you don't want to take a chance with that whoever installs it doesn't have access to the proper manufacturer calibration and diagnostic tools.

Here's to crossed fingers....

Thanks again!

I just hope that Blis is available on the 2010 EcoBoost flex. One would think that it would be offered, since the SHO Taurus has Blis and it is based on the same basic architecture.

I just hope that Blis is available on the 2010 EcoBoost flex. One would think that it would be offered, since the SHO Taurus has Blis and it is based on the same basic architecture.

Boy, do I hope you're right too. BLIS would be an even-bigger benefit given the Flex's squared-off dimensions; and as a "high margin" item that's not safety-based (rather than the frivolity-based refrigerator), it would seem like a poor decision for EVERYONE if it would be omitted.

Extending your thought process that the SHO is based on the same architecture, one might hope that the 2010 Flex will be very similar to the 2009 to help avoid many retooling expenses. If this proves true, and BLIS is available in the 2010 Flex, it may also be as "upfittable" to the 2009 as Adaptive Cruise, both of which I'd truly love.

The Eco Boost really sounds like a dandy little powerplant with its much-higher output better fuel economy. And while I'm sure I'd prefer it over the conventional 3.7 L V6, the additional cost really raises the Flex into the stratosphere for the Limited, or might cause people to make a lot of other compromises. A 2010 Eco Boost, similarly-equipped my 2009, would sticker near $50K, and any hope of getting out the door for less than $40K would be a pipe dream. However, if they choose to make it available on the SE, it becomes MUCH more affordable. How affordable the SE happens to be was something that I kind of lost track of after I got "taken in" by all of the LTD bells and whistles (congratulations Ford marketing). In truth, I could have bought a well-appointed SE and actually kept my trade to use as a "beater" work vehicle for a good deal less than I paid for my LTD AWD.

Anyway, here's to hoping that both of our wishes come true.

Boy, do I hope you're right too. BLIS would be an even-bigger benefit given the Flex's squared-off dimensions; and as a "high margin" item that's not safety-based (rather than the frivolity-based refrigerator), it would seem like a poor decision for EVERYONE if it would be omitted.

Extending your thought process that the SHO is based on the same architecture, one might hope that the 2010 Flex will be very similar to the 2009 to help avoid many retooling expenses. If this proves true, and BLIS is available in the 2010 Flex, it may also be as "upfittable" to the 2009 as Adaptive Cruise, both of which I'd truly love.

As I said at the Flex forum:

I would think it is available.

Although looking at pictures of the '10 EB Flex released, I don't see the sensor on the side of the back bumper. The sensor on the front bumper is there for the parallel parking system, though. I think that'd be stupid not to have BLIS.

The mirror part of BLIS may be there though, in fact, I was kinda disappointed it wasn't on 2009 models. I also remember reading that Ford was going to have spotter mirrors (like on the newest Edges) on all models....not sure where that plan is, but I also expected that for 2009 Flex. Maybe I expect too much? LOL :lol:

Wouldn't it be nice if each year you could trade your car in on the newest model while just paying for the newest additional features? I'd gladly upgrade to EB w/ BLIS and PPS (parallel parking system).

det09_flexeb_f.jpg

Wow! You're pretty well wired-in fact wise about the 2010.

Though the Ford Advantage plan was the fundamental qualifier that allowed me to justify to myself purchasing a vehicle at this time and there's not yet been any news as to whether it will continue into the availability of the 2010 models, I'm beginning to wish I had curbed my impulsiveness and waited to order a built-to-suit 2010. Not only does it seem likely we'll see Adaptive Cruise and BLIS, but now it seems there's to be parking assist to boot. While Adaptive Cruise and the BLIS are somehwat standalone in nature and could be used to component upfit a 2009 (albeit with new mirrors and bumper, perhaps...), but parking assist systems usually require an integrated instrumentation component (or integration with the navigation system display) that doesn't seem likely to be practical even if it's possible.

I know I should just shut up and enjoy the 2009 I'm fortunate enough to own, but the 2010 seems like it's going to be much closer to being "feature complete" in terms of the state-of-the art in automotive features. I wonder how these options will appear or be included among the various trim levels and what effect they're likely to have upon pricing, or the price of the individual features themselves. C'est la vie. :)

Wow! You're pretty well wired-in fact wise about the 2010.

Though the Ford Advantage plan was the fundamental qualifier that allowed me to justify to myself purchasing a vehicle at this time and there's not yet been any news as to whether it will continue into the availability of the 2010 models, I'm beginning to wish I had curbed my impulsiveness and waited to order a built-to-suit 2010. Not only does it seem likely we'll see Adaptive Cruise and BLIS, but now it seems there's to be parking assist to boot. While Adaptive Cruise and the BLIS are somehwat standalone in nature and could be used to component upfit a 2009 (albeit with new mirrors and bumper, perhaps...), but parking assist systems usually require an integrated instrumentation component (or integration with the navigation system display) that doesn't seem likely to be practical even if it's possible.

I know I should just shut up and enjoy the 2009 I'm fortunate enough to own, but the 2010 seems like it's going to be much closer to being "feature complete" in terms of the state-of-the art in automotive features. I wonder how these options will appear or be included among the various trim levels and what effect they're likely to have upon pricing, or the price of the individual features themselves. C'est la vie. :)

I got all the info I posted from the picture and the info released with the '10 EB Flex press release, which would likely also mention BLIS if available.....I'll try to look it up in a minute.

I'm not sure what changes would be needed, but I think the PPS requires electric power steering (not sure if that's what '09 Flex has?) aside from the front bumper sensor (it detects/evaluates parking space size to see if you'll fit....there's a video somewhere, I'll find it for you). The actual control to activate it is placed in the storage bin at the base of the center stack.

medium_3185441643_60db940310_o.jpg

I agree with you about the 2010......I'm almost wishing I would've waited, but certain "one time" (basically then or maybe never) circumstances at the time when I ordered/got mine lead me to get it when I did.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=29648

I think this is the press release I was thinking of, but I seem to remember it having more info about the new systems available in the Flex.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-active-pa...ln-mks-mkt.html

There's the video demo for the park assist feature.

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-announ...quoactive-29625

And there's the press release for it.

This press release also discusses BLIS, and mentions specifically the sensor in the rear quarter panel. What strikes me as odd is that the press release says that the parking assist system works with BLIS, even though the Flex picture I posted above (which is the revealed 2010 EcoBoost model) does not show the sensor in the rear quarter panel, but it has the sensor in the front quarter panel.

Hmmm....the RQP (rear quarter panel) sensor is also necessary for the BLIS system.........so does that mean that's not available either? Strange.....

Thanks for all the info.

It sure does seem odd about the apparent RQP/BLIS mismatch. Perhaps it won't be offered after all, or only as an option on certain trims? To be honest, it would actually make me feel a little better that I hadn't missed out on at least one of them. :)

In the meantime, here's to hoping the '09 brain can handle the '10 parking assist and adaptive cruise! :)

Thanks for all the info.

It sure does seem odd about the apparent RQP/BLIS mismatch. Perhaps it won't be offered after all, or only as an option on certain trims? To be honest, it would actually make me feel a little better that I hadn't missed out on at least one of them. :)

In the meantime, here's to hoping the '09 brain can handle the '10 parking assist and adaptive cruise! :)

I hear ya.....I'm almost upset by the number of features that'll be added for next year and how much better it'll be than the current model (which is already amazing!).

Well, I'm sure BLIS will be an option if offered at all. But I'm really confused (to the point where it bothers me) as to why that front sensor would be there for the PAS system, which supposedly uses the BLIS sensor that's seemingly not there....

I hear ya.....I'm almost upset by the number of features that'll be added for next year and how much better it'll be than the current model (which is already amazing!).

Now *I'm* confused too. :) Was there anything beyond the systems we've been mentioning and the Eco Boost/6-Speed the articles have been mentioning that I missed?

Thanks!

The Eco Boost really sounds like a dandy little powerplant with its much-higher output better fuel economy. And while I'm sure I'd prefer it over the conventional 3.7 L V6, the additional cost really raises the Flex into the stratosphere for the Limited, or might cause people to make a lot of other compromises. A 2010 Eco Boost, similarly-equipped my 2009, would sticker near $50K, and any hope of getting out the door for less than $40K would be a pipe dream. However, if they choose to make it available on the SE, it becomes MUCH more affordable. How affordable the SE happens to be was something that I kind of lost track of after I got "taken in" by all of the LTD bells and whistles (congratulations Ford marketing). In truth, I could have bought a well-appointed SE and actually kept my trade to use as a "beater" work vehicle for a good deal less than I paid for my LTD AWD.

Anyway, here's to hoping that both of our wishes come true.

Thanks.

I seem to remember some thread where it was estimated that EB would be about a $700.00 option. I hope that is still true.

Now *I'm* confused too. :) Was there anything beyond the systems we've been mentioning and the Eco Boost/6-Speed the articles have been mentioning that I missed?

Thanks!

Nothing that I can think of right now...

Thanks.

I seem to remember some thread where it was estimated that EB would be about a $700.00 option. I hope that is still true.

Yeah, I remember that thread too.