Thank you for the GT 500

To all at Ford Motor Company who have had any hand in getting the GT500 to market, I say, "Thank you!".

This new Shelby Mustang has made me feel like a kid again, and it is a shining bright spot in domestic car offerings. In an era when it seems as if everyone has something bad to say about Ford, I say keep up the good work. What more could a long-term Mustang fan ask? Now, It is very approptiately rated at 500HP. Ford has singlehandedly forced Daimler/Chrysler's and General Motors' belated response to the new pony car era. Eventually, (if AND when they are produced) even the Challenger and Camaro fans will owe Ford a thank you. I look forward to Ford's return to SVT performance vehicles.

What more could a long-term Mustang fan ask?

How about a performance Mustang the average guy can actually afford?

Glad to see the GT500 reborn too, but there's quite a gaping hole in the Mustang lineup now that needs to be addressed.

Additionally, if Ford would put 1/10th the passion into the rest of their lineup that they do with the Mustang, all of their cars would be worth owning.

QUOTE: How about a performance Mustang the average guy can actually afford?

I take it you don't consider the $25,000, 300HP Mustang GT a performance Mustang that the average guy can afford? I believe it is accurate to say that this is one of, if not THE, lowest priced 300HP car on the market. Got to be about the best bang for the buck of anything out there, and this is about as affordable a performance car as the market has to offer. If the average guy can't afford this, there are certainly tens of thousands of good used Mustangs that he can choose from. The average guy is exactly who is buying these cars by the thousands.

Edited by portside

QUOTE: How about a performance Mustang the average guy can actually afford?

I take it you don't consider the $25,000, 300HP Mustang GT a performance Mustang that the average guy can afford? I believe it is accurate to say that this is one of, if not THE, lowest priced 300HP car on the market. Got to be about the best bang for the buck of anything out there, and this is about as affordable a performance car as the market has to offer. If the average guy can't afford this, there are certainly tens of thousands of good used Mustangs that he can choose from. The average guy is exactly who is buying these cars by the thousands.

Exactly , and if you decide that you want more after buying it , the aftermarket is huge . You could easily make a Corvette killer out of a GT and still spent tens of thousands less than the Corvette guy , what more do you want?

Edited by fastime

Guest Sixcav

I gotta go with the rest of the crowd on this one Nick. To get a 300HP car that pulls .89 on the skid pad from any other manufacturer you would have to spend a lot more than 25 thousand. I believe over at BMW the equivalent car performance wise is going to average about $50K in the price tag department. While the new Eclipse may handle as well as the Mustang, it certainly won't out run it by any means in it's stock configuration. This is a car that costs just as much as the new Mustang. The Hemi Charger is about as fast in the straight ahead category but doesn't handle as well and costs more. GM has nothing comparable to offer, the closest they come is the new 303 hp FWD V8 Monte Carlo SS which I believe is not only a little slower, but doesn't handle as well and of course costs more. Honda and Acura offer nothing in this area, the closest they come is the S2000 Roadster as their only offering in a "sports" type car. It surely will outhandle the Mustang but will not out run it. Toyota has nothing at all, they are too busy selling Camry's and Rav 4's to soccer moms. Subaru does offer the WRX variant with its 300 hp engine and it handles great, but again, costs more. VW has nothing comparable unless you want to spend big dollars and Nissan's only venture into the sports car category is the 350Z which of course costs more and having sat in that car I can tell you that it was surely designed around someone in the 5 foot 5 height range that weighs about 150 pounds max. So in summation I have to agree, the Mustang right now is the best bang for the buck on the market. If they put this new 265 hp V6 in the entry level Mustang I think it would boost sales even further.

Exactly , and if you decide that you want more after buying it , the aftermarket is huge . You could easily make a Corvette killer out of a GT and still spent tens of thousands less than the Corvette guy , what more do you want?

The GT500 was supposed to be the successor to the 03/04 Cobras which were afforadable at $35k; not at $20k over MSRP. And you cannot make a "Corvette killer" out of a GT without serious and expensive engine mods. Try putting on a blower on a non-forged engine and watch it go kaboom.

I'm 'the average guy' I guess- had the gt been 30k, I'd have had to pass...it is a great car, and for the price of a minivan, it is easy to justify in my opinion. I still think though Ford REALLY needs to start accepting internet orders(not sales) to be sequenced ahead of any allocations, and at msrp(unless you can shop for an accepting dealer to cut you some slack). first come/first served, and when theyre gone, theyre gone- ya snooze/ya lose, but alls fair. Set up ordering so that non-refundable deposit must be made, title transfers not allowed for a year or something like that, to keep internet kids from ordering and dishonest speculators from sitting on a lotfull of cars who's buyers mysteriously backed out- any of those should get shuffled back into normal allocation slots. The greif I had trying to order a Ford product at a ford price was way too friggin stressful- many gt guys up north had a lot rougher time than I did, and now the poor Shelby guys are in ten times worse shape- the promise of the affordable car evaporated because of 90% of the dealers thinking theyre gonna get the barret-jackson price ot of somebody...really ruined a lot of dreams for a lot of folks that simply cant spend 50-60k on a car that was supposed to be 39-42...if orders were allowed by the actual buyers, I'd have been happy as hell with my gt, lots of average guy enthusiasts hoping for a shelby woulda too- but instead, lots of folks are walking away pissed at ford because of shitty dealer behavior- we've all heard on the guys getting their deposits back a year later because the dealer 'couldnt sell it for msrp' after seeing some going for 2x msrp. At the one local dealer I *almost* bought a gt from at 5 over was explaining how I could get a reconfigured stock order in 3 weeks as 5 were coming in, but when he said things like' we have outstanding orders right now for a couple dozen gts that will never get built' and then the GM told me 'you know these guys that ordered at msrp will never get their cars- dealers are trading them off before they even hit the lot for more money'...bullshit. trading off ordered in good faith/stock orders unsold ahead of retail orders? it dont work that way, and I will never spend a penny at their store. Even some of the biggest dealer in the area were demanding 7 over on gts/10 on verts- just to accept a freakin order??? the system is broke when it comes to high demand vehicles, and its really causing a lot of grief for the hardcore enthusiasts in the middle class that ford needs. It cant get much worse, but sure hope it gets better soon. To those guys getting a fair deal on a gt500- I hope and pray you all get your cars, and dealer dont get starry eyed at the last minute- but somewhere it will happen to some poor guy that did all the right things...theres good dealers out there, but they are in the minority. refusing msrp orders, lousy service departments...we've just about all seen one or both out there.

Okay....maybe I should have said "The Slightly ABOVE average guy". There's a gaping hole in the Mustang lineup between the Mustang GT and the GT500 to the tune of about $25,000. There needs to be another product in there somewhere for people who want more than a GT but don't have 50 large to drop on a GT500.

Is the Mustang GT a great performance car for the price? Certainly!

Would I buy one? Never.

Some people don't want the exact same thing as everybody else. There are thousands upon thousands of nearly-identical Mustang GT's on the road. No matter what you do to the thing, it's still a Mustang GT.

Ford had it right with the Mustang Cobra and Mach 1: Limited availability, affordable price, and enough visual and performance distinction to let everyone know that you wanted something just a little bit more than the Average Joe.

Oh now you're better than us is that it Nick? You're all "ABOVE" average and shit. lol

:hysterical:

I don't even know if it's so much wanting to be "better" as opposed to just being "different". It's usually just that different = more expensive when it comes to cars.