'05 Expy, Wierd Noise at Startup

MGolden

I have an 05 expy that is making a noise at startup when it sits for a couple of days. It sounds almost like the abs motor running, or like the valve adjusters have bled down. You can feel it shake through the brake pedal as you start it.

ANyone have any ideas?

Matt

I have a 04 Expy and it does the same thing when it sits for a couple of days, i don't know what it is. But mine does it all the time if i leave the A/C on and then start the car in the morning, but with the A/C off it doesn't happen as often as with the A/C on.

If you find out what it is, please tell me if you can, i'll do the same if i can fix it.

Edited by Expyfan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that it is coming from the vent system, so your assesment about the ac makes sense to me. Does this thing have the " fresh air flap" that the '04-current f150 has? Do you knwo what i am talking about? I thinkg that when yoiu shut your car off, a vent door opens allowing some fresh air circulation to occur. The f150 would clunk, maybe this one rattles?

anyone else have any thoughts?

I have a 04 Expy and it does the same thing when it sits for a couple of days, i don't know what it is. But mine does it all the time if i leave the A/C on and then start the car in the morning, but with the A/C off it doesn't happen as often as with the A/C on.

If you find out what it is, please tell me if you can, i'll do the same if i can fix it.

If you have air suspension, it may the the air compressor. We have an 01 Expedition where I work with 190,000 miles on it and when it sits for while, the compressor comes on and makes a lot of noise at start-up. If it's under warranty, I would have them check out all of your air fittings for leaks. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about.

I have a feeling that it is coming from the vent system, so your assesment about the ac makes sense to me. Does this thing have the " fresh air flap" that the '04-current f150 has? Do you knwo what i am talking about? I thinkg that when yoiu shut your car off, a vent door opens allowing some fresh air circulation to occur. The f150 would clunk, maybe this one rattles?

anyone else have any thoughts?

No, I don't know what do you mean.

If you have air suspension, it may the the air compressor. We have an 01 Expedition where I work with 190,000 miles on it and when it sits for while, the compressor comes on and makes a lot of noise at start-up. If it's under warranty, I would have them check out all of your air fittings for leaks. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about.

No, I don't have air suspension. But I know what noise you are talking about because I had a 2000 Expedition that had air suspension. And my noise is similar to the noise you are talking about, but my Expy doesn't have air suspension, so is not that. But thanks anyway.