A car that could save the planet�fast

I think someone needs to do a good study on the environmental impact of both gas-powered vehicles and electric-only vehicles from all standpoints - mining, drilling, recycling, toxicity of components, CO2 balance, etc. While I think it is most likely more efficient to have one large powerplant burning electricity to power individual vehicles instead of many individual powerplants (internal combustion engines) powering many individual vehicles, we also have to think about how the battery chemicals are mined, produced, disposed of, the impact of natural power sources on the natural landscape, as well as the usefulness of EV's in terms of driving range and power.

Well, with respect to generating power needed to charge the vehicles, its more than just the power needed to charge the vehicle, its also transmission losses that comes from pumping that power through the grid from the power plant to the vehicle. The more juice that's pumped through the transmission lines, the more is wasted in the process.

Now, that's not so much of a concern for a Nuclear or Hydroelectric plant as they have roughly fixed fuel throughput and outputs. For fossil fuel plants, though, it can make a difference. but, that's a systemic issue and not going to be adequately treated here.

In my mind, an EV station wagon with all the hybrid regenerative tricks and a roof coated with solar panels, that's parked in the sun all day and plugged in at night might make an economical and useful vehicle. It would be complex, with two different battery systems (a longer charging one and a quick charging one) and a sophisticated internal charging system. Its not gonna be cheap either.