Article: Honda Strayed From Keep It Simple

range

Another article on Honda's quality issues -Transmission, wheel bearings, brakes drew fire:

ARTICLE: ACCORD QUALITY PROBLEMS

1998-2002 V6 Accord had problems

Honda strayed from policy of `keep it simple'

Transmission, wheel bearings, brakes drew fire

Apr. 8, 2006. 01:00 AM

MARK TOLJAGIC

SECOND-HAND

Have you ever played that psychological game where you think you're plunging your hand into a bucket of warm water that turns out to be ice-cold?

Try this on for size:

The 1998-2002 V6-powered Honda Accord is a problem-prone car.

Are you disoriented, trying to process information that is contrary to what you know is true?

So are some Accord owners.

"I was in a state of shock because I have believed that Honda was the best," read one posting on the Net.

The blogger had just finished replacing his transmission at 82,000 km.

So have others. Honda's 3.0-litre V6, coupled with the automatic transmission, has been a source of heartache and tears.

Edited by range

Another article on Honda's quality issues -Transmission, wheel bearings, brakes drew fire:

ARTICLE: ACCORD QUALITY PROBLEMS

1998-2002 V6 Accord had problems

Honda strayed from policy of `keep it simple'

Transmission, wheel bearings, brakes drew fire

Apr. 8, 2006. 01:00 AM

MARK TOLJAGIC

SECOND-HAND

Have you ever played that psychological game where you think you're plunging your hand into a bucket of warm water that turns out to be ice-cold?

Try this on for size:

The 1998-2002 V6-powered Honda Accord is a problem-prone car.

Are you disoriented, trying to process information that is contrary to what you know is true?

So are some Accord owners.

"I was in a state of shock because I have believed that Honda was the best," read one posting on the Net.

The blogger had just finished replacing his transmission at 82,000 km.

So have others. Honda's 3.0-litre V6, coupled with the automatic transmission, has been a source of heartache and tears.

The guy that wrote the article wasn't real accurate and is not a car guy, from what I can tell.

It's not a 2.3, it's a 2.4. Honda has never run a 2.3 in the Accord. It's either been a 2.2 and, for the new Gen, a 2.4. It's 160-165HP, depending on what you read, but never has been 150HP. The displacements and ratings on the V-6 are just as inaccurate. That being said, I don't think the article was biased, he is saying it like it is. Honestly, I wouldn't have a V-6 Honda. My parents and my brother both have Ody's and I wish them luck, but leave me with the 4cyl. More than enough power and, as the article states, much more reliable.

He does make a point in regards to parts failure and the reasons why. In one case, the reasoning was sourcing parts from Delphi instead of Denso for the alternator. The CR-V has a similer issue with the A/C compressors. The CR-V has had a higher than normal failure rate on the A/C compressor but a good Honda dealer usually will do a "goodwill" replacement free of charge.

He did make a good point in reference to the paint. I drove my CR-V a week before putting on a bug shield and in that week the leading edge of the hood had more chips on it than my Ranger has gotten in 70K miles. I never have been a fan of Honda's thin paint

The other issue with drivetrain has been Honda extending the service intervals in the book. According to my CR-V manual, it's good to go for 110K (yes, 110K miles). But it is an outright lie.

First, the 4wd system will start grinding after 35K unless the fluid is changed. The transmission service at 110K asks the person to "Change it, drive it for a few miles, change it, then drive it for a few miles, then change it." This is to get a full flush. I would NEVER let it go for 110K, or even 40K. I changed my 4wd fluid and transmission fluid every 30k. It easier than an oil change. I have always guessed that the system is engineered for is a single change every 30K. Do this and you don't need to do a full flush.

The valves call for no adjustement or check until 110K but any good Honda mechanic will tell you to have them checked at 50-60K. All of this was done to get the "ownership cost" down, but this is not a good thing IMHO and I have bitched about it on the Honda forum I participate in, as have others.

Overall, good article.

Edited by bec5150

Actually bec the 98-02 Accords did come with a 150hp 2.3L 4 banger, and the V6 was rated to 200hp.

Of course the problem was not with the engine but the transmission, on which I believe Honda now offers an across the board 100,000mile (or km) warranty.

The "litany" of other problems in the car is quite thourough though... ironic that the "bad" alternator is the American-made one.

Of course it might be worth pointing out the goal of the article is to prepare people who may be shopping that model as a used car, so will bring up any and all potential problems to alert readers. It's also worth noting the author looks to hear from people who have owned the car to contact him (no surprise those who had lemons are the first to do so) - have you seen his review of the used Intrepid?

Intrepid review

Funny how all the experiences he's talking about go by "One owner said..." or "some post on the 'net"

I'm not denying the V6 accords had tranny problems and were not perfect cars (no car is), but who made this guy a guru? To describe that article as amateur would be a compliment - what kind of idiot puts a entire sentence in a parenthesis...only to make it a paragraph? No wonder he's only a guest writer.

Edited by marc-o

I thought the previous gen came with a 2.2, not a 2.3. Oh honda, why do you confuse me so...LOL

Anyway, you said it again in your post. As long as the manufacturer stands behind the product, quality issues become little more than an inconvenience. Now when a customer has to eat thousands of dollars due to quality issues, that's when it's a tough pill to swallow.