SYNC Lockup Issue

iNexxFear

So Here's my notes... On 8/11 I had SYNC lockup hard... and here was my post to the SYNC forums on that day:

Some how SYNC upon starting my car up this morning thought that the USB device had been disconnected. While playing around with SYNC, I was cycling through the input sources LINE-IN/BSTS/USB etc... I stopped at the USB port and SYCN came up as "Initializing..." Nothing was happening, so I switched back to the radio and listened to it until I got to the GYM.

Got out, went in tried choosing my songs, and my iPod was hung up... Responsive to the click wheel, but not to the center button to choose songs. After much fiddling, I rebooted my iPod and could finish the GYM routine.

Goind back to the car, and then noticed this reported issue happening... Right now SYNC does not want to find the USB devices, nor blueooth phone at all!!! It says that the USB is not available and also immediately upon starting the car the bluetooth logo highlights on my NAVI system screen. Additionally if you go to the phone screen it shows full bars full battery (even though it is powered off) and the advanced section of the phone screen is blank and kind of hung up.

I can't even click media button to get into the jukebox. SYNC is totally out to lunch for me at this time, but the voice features still seem to work at times (though I haven't tried them all).

I tried to see where the fuse box was to think about doing a reset that way, but no whay am I geeting up in there... I'm not a car maintenance person and would prefer to leave that to my automotive folks! I now have to wait until Thursday (2 days) to drop this off to the garage for a review....

Additionally, Sirius Radio occasionally keeps not outputing music... I have to click the audio button to turn it off so i get the "Audio Off" message and then back on... And we are good!

I just wish that there was some way to reboot sync through the User Interface (UI) on the console.... Without having to go through all of this headache!

If anyone knows of a neat trick please advise (though I did learn something this morning)... Holding down the power button for a few seconds shuts off the device so that even the screen won't turn on when you start your car... Great for parking garages, or such when you might be using your remote starter! I tried this thinking that maybe a reboot option was included in this process (kind of like your PC)... No such luck!

Any further advice from Condor or others who might have a work around in the meantime, wihtout trying to get a the fuse panel would be appreicated to try!

I scheduled the car for a garage visit and here are my outcomes as equally posted on that forum group

So now here's my situation after the garage visit and the whole SYNC locup issue... First of all they wanted my iPod... I have a 2010 Ford Fusion which came with 2.0 and I did an after market update to SYNC 3.0, and reported it back to the website for a sucessful update.

According to the supported media players on the SYNCMYRIDE.com website (http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/Compatibility/AllCompatibleMediaPlayers.aspx) I have a compatible device... A Oriignal Ipod classic 160 GB (Known as the 6G version, not the 6.5G version)... So I am running Firmware 1.1.2....

What the garage tells me is that since I've done a partial update to SYNC to 3.0 that this device is not supported and only the 2.0 Firmware of the iPod Classics (again known as the 6.5 G Version) that this caused my SYNC's lockup issue. Which I hightly don't believe.

Since apple's iTunes does not allow me to install the 2.0 firmware since that's for the newer classics and completely different hardware I can't get it... I have yet to see if I'm going to be charged with a fee.. But how does one ever really know what is supported by Microsoft SYNC and the software versions to hardware!?!?! I'm really kind of irritated with this...

Finally I have talked with the folks on SYNCMYRIDE.com, and according to them they still hold true to the fact that while the iPod should not be an issue... The LARGER issue at hand relates to y SYNC 3.0 firmware update... They still state that 3.0 is for non NAVI cars, and that 2.0 should remain on cars with NAVIGATION, even though the website states thier's an update...

General Info

Chat start time Aug 13, 2009 3:13:27 PM EST

Chat end time Aug 13, 2009 3:32:55 PM EST

Duration (actual chatting time) 00:19:27

Operator Timur

Chat Transcript

info: Please wait for a Sync Agent to respond.

info: Thank you for contacting the Ford & Lincoln-Mercury Sync Support Center.

You are now chatting with 'Timur'

<Truncated Dialog....>

Timur: If you have a GPS, why did they install V3.0?

Timur: That version is not for your vehicle.

Timur: It is only for cars without the GPS.

Timur: I see.

you: Then you guys need to do A LOT of work on your site... Your site told me thier was a critcal update for me to install.. So I downloaded it and applied the updaet as requested

Timur: Sorry about that.

Timur: I have no idea why the web site is doing that. I will let my super visor knwo.

you: Yeah and I know that others have had this problem as well.. Now that I've done a partial install of 3.0 on my 2010 and your saying its not supported... Will ford pay for it to be pushed back to 2.0 and make my ipod supported again?

Timur: Yes, simply take your vehicle to the dealer, and tell them to re-flash your SYNC module with the V2.0.

Timur: It was not your fault.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this... I'm really feeling irritated to say the least with ford regarding the SYNC technology and software in a vehicle... Especially with so many versions roaming around out there!

Edited by iNexxFear

So Here's my notes... On 8/11 I had SYNC lockup hard... and here was my post to the SYNC forums on that day:

I scheduled the car for a garage visit and here are my outcomes as equally posted on that forum group

Finally I have talked with the folks on SYNCMYRIDE.com, and according to them they still hold true to the fact that while the iPod should not be an issue... The LARGER issue at hand relates to y SYNC 3.0 firmware update... They still state that 3.0 is for non NAVI cars, and that 2.0 should remain on cars with NAVIGATION, even though the website states thier's an update...

Anyone else have any thoughts about this... I'm really feeling irritated to say the least with ford regarding the SYNC technology and software in a vehicle... Especially with so many versions roaming around out there!

Well, great...

I have nav and installed the 3.0 update. Haven't had any issue yet, but now I'm very wary...

Well went back to the garage and showed them what was happening... They erased my SYNC and reinstalled it... Additionally noting tht they updated 1 section of the software which we as consumers can not.. As of right now, SYNC is 100% funcitonal again and all is well!

Thank God... I hope it doesn't return but atleast the technicians seen what is happening incase it continues to happen..

Though it was an interesting find about the SYNC upgrade and how my 3.0 upgrade was indeed a partial update!