2006 Taurus wiper system

jwpstore

Hi. New to the forum and trying to fix my wifes wiper system on her 2006. I have the motor and linkage out of the car and will either replace it with the same one (the design sucks) or if someone can tell me a good drop in replacement I will go that way.

My system has the splined shafts which are supposed to form the wiper arm as it gets tightened down. The arm is slipping and I cannot tighten it hard enough to make it solid, it keeps slipping. A new wiper arm does not work either. I think the spline is worn down and not forming the new arm enough. This is on the passengers side.

Any ideas besides putting a ton of RainX on the windshiedl?

John

Hi. New to the forum and trying to fix my wifes wiper system on her 2006. I have the motor and linkage out of the car and will either replace it with the same one (the design sucks) or if someone can tell me a good drop in replacement I will go that way.

My system has the splined shafts which are supposed to form the wiper arm as it gets tightened down. The arm is slipping and I cannot tighten it hard enough to make it solid, it keeps slipping. A new wiper arm does not work either. I think the spline is worn down and not forming the new arm enough. This is on the passengers side.

Any ideas besides putting a ton of RainX on the windshiedl?

John

Clean the aluminum bits out of the steel flutes on the shaft. THAT is what is keeping you from cutting new flutes in the aluminum, and why a new arm will not work. The old arm would work if you would clean the steel flutes and install a washer between the nut and arm.

Then you need to be sure that there is not anything holding them down when you use them, I.E. if there is snow, ice or frost. I've never seen one fail without either being mis-installed from a previous service or held down till the motor torque twists the aluminum out.