Wheels for Wonter

89-Pony

I'm going to be getting winter wheels & tires for my yet-to-arrive 2010 Fusion Sport. The Tire Rack has a really good deal on packages. However, I don't really care for the looks of the non-OEM wheels they have. I actually like the "styled steel wheel w/cover" as found on the SE's. Any idea where I could get them besides a dealer ($$$)? Or, any of the 17-inchers off of the SEL's wold be nice too, but again, not from the dealer ($$$). Any ideas on a good place to order OEM Fusion wheels?

Edited by 89-Pony

I picked up a set ot 17" take offs from a 07 or 08 SEL. I initially didn't think that the tpms sensors would work but I believe, from what I have been told by a number of people who are supposed to know, that the 2010 setup with the valves and sensors that screw into the bottom of the tire valve, will work. I picked up a set of sensors and valves off ebay based on a recommendation but have not installed them yet. I plan on getting the 225-50-17 size winter tire but still have not determined which tire to get. I have it narrowed down to xice, the goodyear grip or perhaps the inexpensive tirerack one that is made by bridgstone/firestone.

I also considered the rims from tire rack, in particular the "sport" series which appeared to look like some of the stock fusion rims. What I didn't like about them was the need for hub rings and at the time I was looking, they didn't have a solution for the tpms system which I understand they now have

I picked up a set ot 17" take offs from a 07 or 08 SEL. I initially didn't think that the tpms sensors would work but I believe, from what I have been told by a number of people who are supposed to know, that the 2010 setup with the valves and sensors that screw into the bottom of the tire valve, will work. I picked up a set of sensors and valves off ebay based on a recommendation but have not installed them yet. I plan on getting the 225-50-17 size winter tire but still have not determined which tire to get. I have it narrowed down to xice, the goodyear grip or perhaps the inexpensive tirerack one that is made by bridgstone/firestone.

I also considered the rims from tire rack, in particular the "sport" series which appeared to look like some of the stock fusion rims. What I didn't like about them was the need for hub rings and at the time I was looking, they didn't have a solution for the tpms system which I understand they now have

What's a hub ring? Is that the same as the band used for prior-year TPMS sensors? Or is that just something to make the tire fit? Where did you find the wheels -- private seller or a business? And if I may ask, how much were they? I think I'm leaning towards just getting Blizzaks on the stock rims -- It's about $250-$300 cheaper than any package deal. I've had great luck with Blizzaks on the old Altima, and the new LM60's look like they'd be a good match in the stock size. I'll just have to get them swapped out in December and back to the summer tires in mid-April. Maybe by the time the first set of snow tires wears out (2-3 winters), I will be able to pick up a spare set of 17" rims on the cheap.

What's a hub ring? Is that the same as the band used for prior-year TPMS sensors? Or is that just something to make the tire fit? Where did you find the wheels -- private seller or a business? And if I may ask, how much were they? I think I'm leaning towards just getting Blizzaks on the stock rims -- It's about $250-$300 cheaper than any package deal. I've had great luck with Blizzaks on the old Altima, and the new LM60's look like they'd be a good match in the stock size. I'll just have to get them swapped out in December and back to the summer tires in mid-April. Maybe by the time the first set of snow tires wears out (2-3 winters), I will be able to pick up a spare set of 17" rims on the cheap.

1 answer: A hub ring adapts the universal-fit aftermarket wheels to the hubs on the car. Usually it is a very thin metal ring that presses into the center hole of the wheel. I don't know why someone would shy away from wheels with hub rings. They have never caused me any problems.

• 1 month later...

I had them some time ago (back in the mid-70's) and they would rust and they also acted as a spacer so I could fit wider tires on the back without hitting the inside of the wheel well. For me personal preference is not to have hub rings or adapters if I can get my hands on factory take offs which fortunately I was able to do. As far as tire rack rims, they have their sport line which I really liked but at the time I was looking (this past april) the tpms issue was not resolved. I now understand that they have rims with the correct tpms sensors. Had that been available I believe I would have given very serious consideration to just getting a tire rack package and be done with it.

I had them some time ago (back in the mid-70's) and they would rust and they also acted as a spacer so I could fit wider tires on the back without hitting the inside of the wheel well. For me personal preference is not to have hub rings or adapters if I can get my hands on factory take offs which fortunately I was able to do. As far as tire rack rims, they have their sport line which I really liked but at the time I was looking (this past april) the tpms issue was not resolved. I now understand that they have rims with the correct tpms sensors. Had that been available I believe I would have given very serious consideration to just getting a tire rack package and be done with it.

All the hub centric rings these days are either thermoplastic or anodized aluminum. All they really do is help center the wheel on the hub. Chances are almost any aftermarket wheel will require them, because they machine most of the wheels to the largest hole needed to fit most cars, and then it is sleeved down with the rings to fit cars like Fusions with smaller hubs. The Tire Rack package I have has the rings. They won't cause any problems.

I've settled on a 16" package from the Tire Rack. I chose 16" because a replacement set will cost $200 less than a 17" or 18" set. With how long I keep cars and the miles I put on, I'll go through at least 2 sets, maybe 3. The wheel prices are very close, but the price jump for tires happens when you go from 16" up to 17"; not too much difference between 17" and 18" tires. The wheels I'm getting are Rial Comos. They look a lot like the 17" dual 5-spokes that came on the Fusion the past couple years, but just different enough to look interesting. The tires are 95% going to be Blizzak WS-60, but I see Consumer Guide listed Michelins (X-Ice?) as the best, so I want to pick up the issue and read why. Still, I love my Blizzaks and the Tire Rack says they won their testing, hands-down. OEM wheels are outrageously expensive.