IBEW?

tonka289

Ok, go ahead and jump ship to the IBEW. They are fine Union, good at what they do. I'm not going to knock the IBEW.

But......

A couple of things to consider.

1) If times get tough and some elctricians need to be scaled back and then they have production time, under the UAW agreement, they can bump back into production. If they were IBEW, then they couldnt bump out a UAW production worker. 2 separate Unions, 2 separate contracts.

2) Ford could also say they dont want to bargain with the IBEW because they already have an agreement with the UAW.

3) If you were to jump ship and Ford agreed to bargain with the IBEW, then it would be day 1 seniority, Ford wont honor previous seniority and they dont have to honor your hire in date of seniority.

4) Your UAW pension contributions would stop on your last date of being UAW represented. If you have 24 years UAW service then you would only get 24 years pension.

5) They already have a 401K for new hires, what makes you think that they would agree to a defined pension for IBEW? Toyota of all companies was the last defined pension plan opened and guaranteed by the PBGC and that was in 1986.

6) Bye Bye VEBA or any retiree health care.

I can go on and on, but I think Ford would love it if the Electricians would vote to be IBEW. Clean slate for Ford and the IBEW, would have to bargain from the ground up. not where your curently at!

Just do some research on the GM-Delphi deals and see where the smaller Unions got squat and the UAW workers did 'ok' considereing the circumstances. Look at GM-Moraine, OH. They were IBEW-CWA and they are done. At the GM-Dayton, OH parts plant, they were UAW and got to transfer to another UAW represented plant. The IBEW-CWA got severance and thats it!

Just some points to ponder!

Btv to Shv

from one electrician to another.......................

Ok, go ahead and jump ship to the IBEW. They are fine Union, good at what they do. I'm not going to knock the IBEW.

But......

A couple of things to consider.

1) If times get tough and some elctricians need to be scaled back and then they have production time, under the UAW agreement, they can bump back into production. If they were IBEW, then they couldnt bump out a UAW production worker. 2 separate Unions, 2 separate contracts.

2) Ford could also say they dont want to bargain with the IBEW because they already have an agreement with the UAW.

3) If you were to jump ship and Ford agreed to bargain with the IBEW, then it would be day 1 seniority, Ford wont honor previous seniority and they dont have to honor your hire in date of seniority.

4) Your UAW pension contributions would stop on your last date of being UAW represented. If you have 24 years UAW service then you would only get 24 years pension.

5) They already have a 401K for new hires, what makes you think that they would agree to a defined pension for IBEW? Toyota of all companies was the last defined pension plan opened and guaranteed by the PBGC and that was in 1986.

6) Bye Bye VEBA or any retiree health care.

I can go on and on, but I think Ford would love it if the Electricians would vote to be IBEW. Clean slate for Ford and the IBEW, would have to bargain from the ground up. not where your curently at!

Just do some research on the GM-Delphi deals and see where the smaller Unions got squat and the UAW workers did 'ok' considereing the circumstances. Look at GM-Moraine, OH. They were IBEW-CWA and they are done. At the GM-Dayton, OH parts plant, they were UAW and got to transfer to another UAW represented plant. The IBEW-CWA got severance and thats it!

Btv to Shv

this is why I thought he might be smokin some dust..great points..and very accurate.

Are you sure about that at ALL of the plants?

If they are not working, then that is their fault. Electricians have been offered transfers to almost every plant in the U.S.. Electricians from Monroe have been transferred to KTP, OHAP, KCAP, MAP, R&E, Ford Land, and every plant in the Rouge complex. Every time a transfer opportunity went up, none of the plants that received people got the number they wanted.

Pioneer, they are seperate, they have thier own agreement, meetings, wages...etc. I just don't understand what would be gained by this?

they are not seperate, and they should be seperate, right now there is only sections that cover trades, every other company that have trades people, you can see the dividing line between them, here at the uaw, its only a couple bucks, and everything else is the same. as long as there is only one vote for one contract, there is no seperation, so for trades issues, production still votes on it, not fair at all. trades should vote for theirs, and production vote for theirs.

Pioneer, they are seperate, they have thier own agreement, meetings, wages...etc. I just don't understand what would be gained by this?

No they are not. There is one vote for the contract. Yes, the votes are counted separate, but we are voting on the same contract.

they are not seperate, and they should be seperate, right now there is only sections that cover trades, every other company that have trades people, you can see the dividing line between them, here at the uaw, its only a couple bucks, and everything else is the same. as long as there is only one vote for one contract, there is no seperation, so for trades issues, production still votes on it, not fair at all. trades should vote for theirs, and production vote for theirs.

Exactly.

As a laid off Millwright I really appreciate the compassion and concern set forth by all of you electricians with regards to this latest proposed contract. I Guess what impresses me the most, is the shear fervor and militancy from you guys, especially given the fact that this new language doesn't really affect you too much. I'm one of 19 trades that Ford evidently wants to dilute into one. I can't find a permanent job now, so It's hard to even imagine how bleak my future job prospects will be, once I'm grouped with every other pipe fitter, toolmaker, machine repairman, painter, carpenter Etc. Etc. in the Ford System. When this Turd of an amendment gets shoved down all of our throats and passes, you guys will still be electricians. However For the rest of us, we will no longer be tradesman we will be Mechanics.... funny I've never heard of a "Mechanic" being an apprenticeable trade. Evidently the current Ford Management Team either doesn't realize or just doesn't care how much money just one skilled, conscientious, knowledgeable tradesman can save them.

From what I've read about this new agreement, there should be absolutely no reason why any right minded UAW Ford member would want to vote yes for it. We have a contract now. If Ford wants contract concessions, then let them honor one contract for the full term first, and then maybe we'll work something out after this one expires.

Ford didn't go bankrupt and they aren't in dire financial straits. In fact, even if Ford was burning money like it was going out of style, these concessions would be of absolutely no help in the near term. These concessions are all about long term savings and that in and of itself would be perfectly fine, as long as the we were getting some semblance of long term future product guarantees in return, But we're not.

Ford continues to invest huge amounts of money in Mexico, China, India, Eastern Europe and even Canada. And after all of that Foreign investment, they have the gall to ask us the UAW to help pay for part of it with these conciliatory contract revisions... you've got to be kidding me. Talk about cutting off our nose to spite our face.

The fact that the IUAW would even bring this crap to us for a vote, shows how irrelevant and powerless they have become.

This latest Contract amendment absolutely reeks.

VOTE NO!

Edited by mrballsonya

How many Electricians are willing

To leave the UAW and move over to the IBEW?

Not this electrician.Our skilled trade ranks are dwindling,we need to keep everyone UAW.With the combining of all of the different trades now more than ever we need to stick together.

• 3 weeks later...
If they are not working, then that is their fault. Electricians have been offered transfers to almost every plant in the U.S.. Electricians from Monroe have been transferred to KTP, OHAP, KCAP, MAP, R&E, Ford Land, and every plant in the Rouge complex. Every time a transfer opportunity went up, none of the plants that received people got the number they wanted.

I wish we had that problem!! I work at STAP and when were done there's nowhere to go . OAC and Windsor are not hiring any time soon.

You guy's have got to nut up cause this crap will never stop!!

But.....

Btv to Shv

Now you're an electrician.Are you still retired in Florida?

I'd say you're laid off and transferred to Sharonville before Batavia closed to try and save yourself from layoff.In fact,I believe you were one of the local members that wanted to shit can the transfer agreement.Of course this is pure conjecture on my behalf.

In solidarity........Brother!

Now you're an electrician.Are you still retired in Florida?

I'd say you're laid off and transferred to Sharonville before Batavia closed to try and save yourself from layoff.In fact,I believe you were one of the local members that wanted to shit can the transfer agreement.Of course this is pure conjecture on my behalf.

In solidarity........Brother!

DIND,DING,DING, we have a winner johnny