Last of the V8's???

I have been pricing out SUV's on a car buying website and I came across a statement that claims that the V8 with a 6-spd transmission can no longer be ordered.

Is this true? Are the day's of the V8 over?

Not knowing which V8 SUV you're trying to price out, here are some ordering considerations and constraints on the 2010 Explorer V8 models.

2010 Explorer XLT - 4.6L V8 is available on 4x4 model only. Fleet orders only. Requires 6-Speed Automatic Transmission

2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer - 4.6L V8 is available on 4x4 models only. Requires 6-Speed Automatic Transmission

2010 Explorer Limited - 4.6L V8 is available on 4x4 and AWD only. Requires 6-Speed Automatic Transmission

Although the 4.6L V8 engine option requires the 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (446) the transmission is not automatically added when you order the V8 engine option.

Otherwise, the 4.6L V8 continues to be an available option on the 2010 Explorer models. If this doesn't answer your question, please provide additional information on what SUV model and series you require so that I can try to answer your question more fully.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the clarification. As of today, neither Edmunds nor Carsdirect.com list the V8 Mountaineer for 2010. But the Mercuryvehicles.com site does, just the way you described. Thanks.

FLLMTR, I don't know what you were looking at with the Mercury, but it still does offer the V8. You have to get the Mercury Mountaineer Premier Sport Utility All Wheel Drive (AWD). You can find the information at Edmonds and Kelly Blue Book. With Carsdirect.com, you need to look a bit lower.

I will tell you that I got an Eddie Bauer V8 4x4 and I love it. So you can get one, but you may have to order it directly from the factory and it will be about 8 weeks.

So like Ice-capades, they are available, but they may be hard to come by without ordering one.

That's weird that you can't order the 2WD with the V8...

And it's gonna be a sad day when they Explorer comes to an end next year..

Yea it is, that is why I was "forced" to buy a 4x4 model. I wanted the power and fun of driving the V8. So if I wanted my Explorer, then I had to go this route.

It will be a sad day when the BOF Explorer goes away, however, I'm interested in the next version and will hopefully be able to take a look at it when it comes out late next year.