06 FREESTYLE Daytime Running Lights

07 Shelby Cobra

Hi, hopefully someone here can give me an answer to a question that nobody seems to know the answer to.

I've recently imported a Ford FREESTYLE from the US into Canada. As a lot of you know, in Canada, Daytime Running Lights are Manditory in all vehicles built after 1995. (I think that's the year!) As such, I need to get the DRLs functioning on this Freestyle before it can pass the Federal Inspection and I can Register it for use in Canada.

Usually you bring the vehicle for it's Federal Inspection into Canadian Tire as the Registry of Imported Vehicles, RIVs, 'prefered' Inspector. Anyhow, in calling around to my Ford Dealer, Ford of Canada itself and Canadian Tire I'm getting different answers into what is required to get the DRLs working. The Dealership Service Rep tells me that there is No DRL Kit shown for the 05/06 Freestyles. Canadian Tire says they'll do the DRLs with a Universal Kit. Ford of Canada just tells me that the DRLs can be done. Finally, the Parts Guy at my Dealer says that he talked to a Ford of Canada Tech Rep who "thinks" that the DRLs can be 'Activated' via a Download into the Freestyle Onboard Computer. I've imported an 'older technology' Ford Vehicle into Canada before, Ford Excursion, and there was a Ford DRL Kit that they used. This 'newer tech' Fords might indeed need a download, as no kit exists?? I want to make sure, so that I don't get somebody who doesn't know about the 'Download Feature' to start messing with the wiring harness and therefore making a bigger problem.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated! Many Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
I believe the dealer can configure the SJB to enable the DRL with WDS and a call to the hotline to get the code.

Hi Ron,

Much appreciated! Could you give a non tech, me, the full wording to those Acroynyms that you've laid out?! (SJB and WDS) It'll give me an UP on the Service Reps behind the desk! Also, 'Hotline', meaning a Ford Tech line available to the Service Department?

Thanks!