OK, I don't care what kind of car that is, but it's certainly not an econobox. But when a motorcyclist can strike a car and FLIP it, they were haulin ass, period. Plus consider if the cycle was hauling ass, when it strikes a car, it does so with a small impact area than a car with it's bumper. Less mass, yes. But I've seen plenty of crashes with cycles that penetrate into cars.

If it is a Ford, I'm sure the media will be all over it. But depending on the crash, any car might have burst into flames.

But depending on the crash, any car might have burst into flames.

You are correct on that. As far as the CV's getting rear ended and igniting, I'd like to see data on similar accidents with Impalas, Intrepids, Chargers, and others. Seems the media has always wanted to let the CV be the punching bag. People plow into the rear ends of police vehicles all the time. In my area, one of our local law enforcement agencies has some F-250's for specialized usage and someone rear ended one of them while it was sitting at a red light. Speaking of CV accidents, a Dallas, TX PD CV t-boned a Pontiac this morning during a high speed chase (The CV involved was not part of the chase, the Pontiac turned in front of him), and it didn't catch fire.

I think it was in one of those lawsuits, but an independant company showed that the CV was equal to the other cars of it's making. But the only car they could find of "equal" design was the Chevy Caprice. They didn't test it vs the Impala. And those tests were without the new shield.

But from what I understand, the new Charger, the CV, and the Impala are all rated for 50mph rear end collisions. The feds don't ask for standards higher, so only independants have done the testing at higher speeds. And only on CV's with regards to "current" models. So there is really nothing to compare, from my understanding.

Yes the CV was compared to the Caprice, because the Caprice is the ONLY other car made in the same way... body on frame, full size, construction.

The Caprice IS JUST AS LIKELY TO CATCH FIRE as the CV is in rear impacts.

The Crown Vic was tested to the 50 mph standard (and MET that standard) starting in 1996. THe standard was not required until 2006. So these cars have been meeting tighter standards, when they didn't HAVE to, for ten years!

ALL CV's ARE TESTED AT 75 MPH NOW.

No other vehicle in the world meets this standard!

I think it was in one of those lawsuits, but an independant company showed that the CV was equal to the other cars of it's making. But the only car they could find of "equal" design was the Chevy Caprice. They didn't test it vs the Impala. And those tests were without the new shield.

But from what I understand, the new Charger, the CV, and the Impala are all rated for 50mph rear end collisions. The feds don't ask for standards higher, so only independants have done the testing at higher speeds. And only on CV's with regards to "current" models. So there is really nothing to compare, from my understanding.

It may be a CVPI, but I've looked at that pic a few times and its so hard to tell. Its somewhat grainy and the car is obviously distorted and burnt. However, there a few little things here and there that make be wonder if it isn't an Impala. The doors, the fuel filler opening and the trunk opening has me wondering...especially the trunk area. If you look at the partially opened trunk lid, it looks like a flat floor trunk. It may be just the lighting, but I'm curious to know if this is truly another CV or not.

It's a Vic. The rear door is that of a vic. It is nothign lik that of the impala. The top of the rear door on the Vic is quite wide and cuts up to the roof as in the pic, were as on the Impala it is just a frame around the window.

It is definetly a Vic no question.

Matthew

It's a Vic. The rear door is that of a vic. It is nothign lik that of the impala. The top of the rear door on the Vic is quite wide and cuts up to the roof as in the pic, were as on the Impala it is just a frame around the window.

It is definetly a Vic no question.

Matthew

I suppose you're right about that...just hard to tell from my perspective. Myself still being a Mustang guy at heart, I still gravitate over to the Corral.net every so often. I noticed that somebody had posted pics of a sheriff department Impala and whatever hit that car tore it up something bad, although it didn't catch on fire.

I have a lot of confidence in the CVs structural integrity, but honestly I have been tempted to order the plastic shroud kit that comes standard on the Interceptors now. Its only about $150 or so and it would seem to make a good investment. What does other Panther owners think of it. By having the extra exhaust plumbing and the rear air suspension, I wonder if it wouldn't be such a bad idea for just an extra degree of safety.

Are there any follow up articles about this?

I would like to know the make model and year of the car and if it was fitted with a gas tank shield if it was an older model.

I'll see if I can find anything. It was just a tiny article on a local news website.

Here's another account of the incident I found:

WUSA Washington, DC - Link to video story

Not much clearer with video. Definitely appears to be a Crown Vic though. (If they say it in the story, let me know -- I have no sound on my work PC...shhhh!!!) Haven't been able to find anything more updated though.

Edited by NickF1011

The way some of the cops and deputies drive around here it's a wonder we haven't seen more exploding CVs pics. The Sheriff here tried to get in on the lawsuit against Ford for the exploding tanks even though they didn't have any incidents. Then he tried to sue Ford after they refused to sell him more Crown Vics. :doh: