Very Positive Ford Story on NBC Nightly News

http://www.nbc.com/news-sports/msnbc-video...s-on-high-note/

It doesn't hurt that Brian Williams' personal car is a Mustang GT

The story runs like a minute and a half Ford ad hitting the quality of Ford cars and the perception of Ford improving from not taking a bailout.

Very nice. Unfortunately, so much of the car-buying public will need years of this type of news and 10 of their closest/neighbors friends buying Fords before they will consider one.

Very nice. Unfortunately, so much of the car-buying public will need years of this type of news and 10 of their closest/neighbors friends buying Fords before they will consider one.

Maybe, but it's a start. Not long ago it would have been unheard of for network news to do such a positive Ford story. A lot of people who would not have considered setting foot in a Ford showroom will give Ford a look.

"Every consumer metric about the Ford brand – including favorable opinion, consideration, shopping and intention to buy – ended the year at record levels. In fact, favorable opinion is up more than 20 percent from the beginning of the year, and intention to buy Ford increased more than 30 percent. "“People increasingly are discovering that the Ford difference is the strength of our products, particularly our leadership in quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart technologies and value,” said Czubay.

Maybe not.

"Every consumer metric about the Ford brand – including favorable opinion, consideration, shopping and intention to buy – ended the year at record levels. In fact, favorable opinion is up more than 20 percent from the beginning of the year, and intention to buy Ford increased more than 30 percent. "“People increasingly are discovering that the Ford difference is the strength of our products, particularly our leadership in quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart technologies and value,” said Czubay.

Maybe not.

I have owned Fords almost exclusivley for the past 30 years and own 2 right now. The few times I have strayed (Nissan, Isuzu, Pontiac, Jeep) have been when the trouble starts.

I am a programmer and work with a bunch of ultra-conservative geek-types. For most of these guys their research goes no further than Consumer Reports (if even that). What they see people at their church or their kid's schools driving is what influences them. I showed a few of them a BON article (that linked to a Consumer Reports article) stating Ford's quality was equal to or better than Toyota or Honda, and they still didn't blieve it (and one of these mental giants won't buy lunch before checking in CR). At least in this part of the cuntry, herd mentatlity is hard to break.

Bubba Ogre: As a fellow programmer (PHP / MySQL, XHTML, CSS, and ActionScript primarily) .. I feel your pain. I work with some extremely hard-headed people when it comes to cars. One actually drives a Pontiac Aztek and rips on Fords ...

I don't really try to persuade people to buy a certain type of car. I feel it is unproductive to try and persuade people - especially if they end up with a lemon. Then they blame you. That kind of people I'm sometimes prone to recommending the most horrible mid 1990s Corolla I can find! :hysterical:

Edited by SVT_MAN

...so much of the car-buying public will need years of this type of news and 10 of their closest/neighbors friends buying Fords before they will consider one.

But wouldn't your statement still be accurate if any other automotive brand was substituted for "Fords"? No single full-line manufacturer, let alone a single nameplate, garnered even a 20% share of the U.S. new car/light truck market in 2009. And the fact that Ford Motor Company increased its market share by more percentage points than any other full-line OEM between 2008 and 2009 suggests that Ken Czubay's statement (that soupy quoted) transcends mere PR fluff.

(See here for data).

Edited by aneekr