2008 Tranny question

upstate

When I slow down in my Expedition (in 2WD) and I get down to about 5-10 MPH and let off the brake I feel a bump. Almost like a car behind me just tapped me on the rear bumper. It does not do it all the time but about half the time. Any ideas what it might be? I have about 26K on the ODO.

When I slow down in my Expedition (in 2WD) and I get down to about 5-10 MPH and let off the brake I feel a bump. Almost like a car behind me just tapped me on the rear bumper. It does not do it all the time but about half the time. Any ideas what it might be? I have about 26K on the ODO.

Take it to the dealer, print this out and show them this TSB. Mine had it bad. It will get worse. This procedure fixed it.

TSB 08-22-7

11/10/08

DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)

FORD:

2007-2008 Expedition

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-13 to update the Issue, Service Procedure and remove the production fix date.

ISSUE

Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop below 10 MPH (16 Km/h). This procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION APPLYING THIS PROCEDURE TO UNITS THAT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE COASTDOWN BUMP MAY RESULT IN WORSE SHIFT QUALITY.

NOTE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

1. Install Integrated Diagnostic System/Portable Diagnostic Software (IDS/PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.

2. Update the Power Control Module/Transmission Control Module (PCM/TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.8 and higher or 58.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

a. Verify that the TCM shows 8L1P-7J104-AC (8L1P-7J104-BC for 2008 vehicles built after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.

b. Select the following from IDS, Tool Box, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle info, TCM Cal Part Number.

3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.

a. Using IDS:

(1) Open Toolbox.

(2) Choose Powertrain.

(3) Choose Reset KAM.

(4) Then Choose TCM.

b. Using PDS:

(1) Choose all Tests and Calibrations.

(2) Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.

NOTE FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.

NOTE TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn:

a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.

b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).

c. Repeat Steps (a-B) a total of five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.

d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.

e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.

f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 10 seconds.

g. Repeat steps (e-f) three (3) times.

NOTE THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

082207A 2007-2008 Expedition: 1.0 Hr.

Check DTCs, Reprogram

The PCM And TCM,

Includes Time To Clear

KAM And Perform Road

Test. Authorization Decal

Not Required (Do Not Use

With 12650D)

DEALER CODING

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting... I got the same problem with my 2008 Expedition with 25k miles on it, but only when the transmission is not at operating temperature yet. Mind you, In the UAE where I live, it does not get colder than 60F, and highest is at about 120F.... When I drive to work in the morning, the first 5 minutes I have the "bump in the back" too. But in addition, when cold, I have during the shift from 1 to 2 a split second that the engine revs jump up from 1500rpm to 2000rpm (like it moves into neutral before shifting to 2nd gear) and than shifts slowly into the 2nd gear, and the the revs reduce to 1500rpm again., After a few miles all goes to normal.

Is this a known problem that can be fixed easily, or should I be worried? I have less than a year warranty left....Hope this is just an electronic issue that can be fixed easily...... I had no problems at all with this truck, and love the ride; but the symptom worries me....

I love the Expedition, and I'm very loyal to Ford for many years. I'm realy happy that Ford Company recovers so well!. Own 3 Ford vehicles right now. :-) (Mercury Mariner 2008, Ford Focus 2007 5 door Euro model (super!) and the 2008 Expedition)... and plan for an 2011 or 2012 Expedition :-)

Thanks

Ewald

Interesting... I got the same problem with my 2008 Expedition with 25k miles on it, but only when the transmission is not at operating temperature yet. Mind you, In the UAE where I live, it does not get colder than 60F, and highest is at about 120F.... When I drive to work in the morning, the first 5 minutes I have the "bump in the back" too. But in addition, when cold, I have during the shift from 1 to 2 a split second that the engine revs jump up from 1500rpm to 2000rpm (like it moves into neutral before shifting to 2nd gear) and than shifts slowly into the 2nd gear, and the the revs reduce to 1500rpm again., After a few miles all goes to normal.

Is this a known problem that can be fixed easily, or should I be worried? I have less than a year warranty left....Hope this is just an electronic issue that can be fixed easily...... I had no problems at all with this truck, and love the ride; but the symptom worries me....

I love the Expedition, and I'm very loyal to Ford for many years. I'm realy happy that Ford Company recovers so well!. Own 3 Ford vehicles right now. :-) (Mercury Mariner 2008, Ford Focus 2007 5 door Euro model (super!) and the 2008 Expedition)... and plan for an 2011 or 2012 Expedition :-)

Thanks

Ewald

Take it in. As the above TSB states, the TCM needs to be reflashed. Not hard for the dealer to do.

Take it in. As the above TSB states, the TCM needs to be reflashed. Not hard for the dealer to do.

Went to the dealer today (Sunday is a working day here:-) ) and had the TCM re-flashed... what an improvement! its perfect now; very smooth shift up and down... Thanks for the TSB reference!!!

Ewald