poll- mustang/ford name lawsuits

how should Ford legal enfoce trademark issue  

12 members have voted

1. 1. just looking for opinions.

• like they are currently(see post below about mustangsplus)
    • license 'good' companies annual use for the name for a token fee- just to show/protect ownership
    • let it go like its been the last 40 years(but worry about a chinese 'mustang' showing up)
    • crack down even harder- bankrupt all magazines/parts vendors/carclubs/internet forums- basically stomp the entire enthusiast community from the name.

pasting from another 'illegally named' forum:

<<<(Below is the story we posted on May 23rd.)

Apparently Ford thinks a way to improve its image and sales of Ford cars is by alienating the very enthusiasts that loyally buy Ford vehicles. In another one of Ford’s “Bold Moves†they have sent a letter to Mustang Plus, a Stockton, CA based Mustang parts retailer, asking them to stop using Mustang in their business name. They have also sent similar letters to an untold number of other businesses, such as MustangTuning.com and California Mustang. Rumour is they will soon come after magazines, websites, and clubs that also use Ford, Mustang, Thunderbird, Falcon or other Ford brand names.

The Feb. 16 letter from Howard, Phillips and Andersen, a Utah law firm representing Ford (and other automakers in the past and present) on intellectual property enforcement matters, asked Mustangs Plus to:

» Transfer to the automaker the registration for mustangsplus.com.

» Submit to government offices all forms necessary to discontinue registration of the Mustangs Plus name.

» Cancel Internet and telephone directory listings and advertising under the Mustangs Plus name.

» Turn over for destruction all signs, banners, business cards and collateral materials.

» Issue a check to Ford for $10,000 in damages.>>>

In another thread I defended Ford's attempts to protect their intellectual property, but what Ford4v429 pointed out in this thread is pretty much indefensible.

I voted for the nominal fee and licensing of the name, solely to protect Ford's right to the name but yet allow companies like Mustang Plus and California Mustang to exist and sell licensed Ford products and parts.

Go after the "pirate" outfits and leave the "legitimate" business owners alone.

For Ford to condone the actions of the law firm above is to sanction legalized extortion - nothing more, nothing less. That $10,000 arbitrary "damages" figure is ridiculous and makes me angry to see it. I'll bet that the bottom-feeders in that law firm get a percentage of the take, thereby propagating this travesty.

As long as it was truly nominal and left the clubs alone, I'd be for that resolution. Ford is losing enough market share without alienating loyal customers like this. Classic owners rely on businesses like Mustangs Plus for parts long ago discontinued by ford. Those same people are more likely to buy a new ford as a dd, or tow vehicle than any other brand, imo-but alientate them liek this and they might. I have heard some extreme thoughts on this from fellow classics owners-who wants to see a bunch of debarged classics being towed behind brand new Dodges/Chevies/ETC? This is not the way to get people to come back to your company....I truly will consider another brand when looking into a new DD if they let this stand. I understand protecting your brand recoginition, however this is too much. And really, so they had to call it the GT instead of the GT40-didnt seem to hurt sales any. Why pass the buck and screw other people just because someone somewhere got the better of you on one name?! Heck, what about protecting the T5 name?

kinda sounds like ford legal just mighta got a bit carried away- my apologies to the good folks at Ford for being so pissed about this- sounds like its being corrected, and all is well...now if they could just get more shelbys at msrp, and Kzinti back online, things would be just swell :)

just saw this over at bosss302.com- pasting from there-

<<Mustang trademark issue being resolved

I met with Jim Owens, Ford's Mustang Marketing Manager, during the Mid-America Shelby Meet in Tulsa this past weekend. I am happy to report that Jim, who had no prior knowledge of the cease and desist letter going out to companies about using word Mustang in their company names, is working with Ford's legal department to resolve the issue. At this point, the cease and desist letter is no longer being sent out and they are trying to figure out how to work with the companies that have received the letter. Nothing official has been drawn up, but it's in the works and I will be sure to let you guys know when it happens. Sounds like they are considering something like a small fee, perhaps just $1, for the use of the name, renewable over a certain amount of time. Of course, companies that are not legit - deceitful, fraudulent, etc. - will still be contacted.

Like I said, it's not official yet, but at least something is in the works to fix the situation.

Donald Farr

Mustang Monthly >>