HIDs or no for my '11 order?

dontmatr

After looking at the pricing/options on the GT Base and Premium trim levels, and looking at the availability of HIDs for only the latter, I was wondering how much more effective the HIDs would be vs. the stock halogen units. As of now, I'm teetering between ordering a Base (prefer cloth over leather upholstery, and cheaper bottom line) vs. Premium (bunch of stuff I don't really need, but wouldn't mind having, like the upgraded interior). The only experience I've had with HIDs so far is whenever I'm facing opposing traffic and getting blasted in the eyes by them; this would be my first car to have them if so ordered. So, do the HIDs exhibit any gain over the standard headlamps? Enough to justify going to a GT Premium?

Also, how much of a difference would I notice if I went with the optional 3.73s or 3.55s vs. the stock 3.31 rear, in terms of acceleration and fuel mileage?

Finally, this is a rather minor thing, but with regards to the 5.0 badges....I don't really care for the way they look; one of the first things I plan to do is to remove them and if possible replace them with '05-'10 GT badges (not for any deceptive purposes...uh uh). The mounting holes for said badges should be in the same locations as the '10s, right?

Thanks.

Edited by dontmatr

Although I like the additional included items on the Premium level, I don't think the HID would make enough of a difference on the Mustang. The only real pleasure would be if you wanted to get back at or do unto others for those times you're nearly blinded from the oncoming vehicles with HIDs. :hysterical:

With the different gearing, I would think that you'd be able to pick-up a tad quicker but also cost you a little in fuel economy. At least that's what I would deduce.

In reference to the 5.0 badging vs. the GT badging, I would not think there would be a difference in the lining holes. However, if there is, you could always snap the pins off of the GT and smooth it down enough to stick it on the fenders. That's what I did with the tri-bar pony fender badges for the '08 V6 that I used to have.

Good luck!

Most badges are held on with adhesive/glue, don't know for a fact but I'm guessing the 5.0 badges will be the same. You can use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive/glue that holds the badges on to the car. The heat will soften the glue making it easier to remove the emblems.

I'm also trying to decide between the GT Base and Premium trim levels, I'm not big on leather seats. The sound system I want isn't available with the base model.

I ordered a 2011 Premium Coupe V6 MT MCA back in February and needed help deciding on the HID's. Like you, I've never had a car with them and wondered if they were worth the $920 MSRP ($801 Inv+tax my actual NET) with the req'd. Sec-Pkg. Never had a car with Active Anti-Theft either, so this would be a new and possible anoying feature to deal with for the next 6 years too.

I live 1.5 hrs. north of Milwaukee and drive to & from Chicago once a week leaving Monday morning at 3:45 AM and leaving for home Wednesday night at 8:30 PM. Of my 400 miles / 7 hrs. of driving each week, all but 30-40 minutes is in the dark ... so I figure anything I could do to increase visibility would be a big plus.

So I stared a poll on TMS Forums and all the responces in this 2 page thread and an earlier one that was 4 pages long convinced me into getting them ...

http://forums.themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=480602

and

http://forums.themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=478266&highlight=hid

So you may want to read throught these two threads to help you in your decision, and also note that having Active Anti-Theft can save you $$ on your auto insurance policy (my agent said 5 to 10% savings is typical).

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Most badges are held on with adhesive/glue, don't know for a fact but I'm guessing the 5.0 badges will be the same. You can use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive/glue that holds the badges on to the car. The heat will soften the glue making it easier to remove the emblems.

I'm also trying to decide between the GT Base and Premium trim levels, I'm not big on leather seats. The sound system I want isn't available with the base model.

A heat gun or hair dryer (held closely to the surface) could potentially damage the paint.

IMO, you are better off using some dental floss to saw through the two sided tape that holds the badge. Then clean up with a citrus based cleaner like goo gone.