Brand Differentiate Lincoln and SVT

plev72

The more I think about it, the more I think Lincoln will be hard pressed to (assuming the corporate desire exists) to compete with sporty-luxery brands. I certainly see Lincoln as a direct (or potential direct) competitor to Cadillac and Mercedes, but somehow I can't see myself driving a Lincoln - the same way I could driving a BMW, an Audi, or an Infiniti. One of the concerns repeatedly presented has been with the 'rebadging' of Fords as Mercurys or Lincolns, as opposed to actually having unique prodoctus. In addition, concerns have been raised about lack of volume through former Lincoln-Mercury dealerships with the imminent demise of Mercury.

What about the following as a solution -

The SVT 'brand' is already known and respected. What about turning the Lincoln-Mercury dealerships into Lincoln-SVT dealerships? While Lincoln (at least to me) will likely always be perceived as, well... stodgy, SVT speaks performance and high-end --- and a product that I would be willing to pay a premium for over a 'regular' Ford product.

There possible SVT products that immediately sprint to mind for me are the following (and I haven't quite worked through the product line, but I figure this is a good place to start:

The 'Lincoln' Compact car (Focus equivalent) - it would make more sense as an SVT product than a Lincoln product - w/ an AWD version, possibly also with a retractable hard-top convertible (this could target the 1-Series - realizing that the 1-series is actually sub-compact and not compact).

A Mustang equivalent - but in Sedan form and retractable Hard-Top Convertible - powertrains could remain with the 3.7 as a base and then use a 3.5 or 3.7 ecoboost for the higher end model. Possibly also w/ AWD version. (This would directly target the 3 series).

Products could be identified as (for example in the 4-door 3 Series competitor) the SVT Marauder --- or (although I have mixed feelings on this) the cars could simply have their names Marauder (with manufacturer in small print) by SVT.

Just remember to leave a manual transmission option!

Paul

Edited by plev72

Ford is in the process of closing their third brand. They do not need a new one. Especially one with just three initials that only exists in North America.

SVT should be FPV and be hi-po models of both Ford and Lincoln products globally.