CD Stuck

goodguy9544

Purchased an '06 Mercury Milan (V-6, Premier, etc.) last year from a little old lady in Detroit (my mom) It was her baby. So... now the 6-disk CD player acting up. Have seen this posted on a couple of other amateur forums but either there is no fix or they are not visited much. Thought I'd come back to my old standby!

So, CD player/changer (six-disc). When it's good it is very good; when it is bad, it is very bad. Insert a disk: "Reading Disk" message appears, never goes away. Cannot load, unload, move up or down. When I have an open slot, I try to "Load", changer does not move. Get 'load error". On occasion it works fine. But has been messing up more recently. Problem occurs with commercial and 'home-made' CD's. Can't seem to figure a pattern. Recently I unloaded all six discs. Let it take a vacation. Yesterday, loaded a disk in anticipation of an hour of music driving down to Vermillion (SD). Pressed "CD". Got nothing but "Reading Disc". Very occasionally in the past I've gotten "disc error" but not for awhile. (I'm guessing you all are saying "Okay, we get it!" But I need to vent. Sorry! Otherwise, love the Milan!)

Is there a warranty on these things? Warranty (if one) separate from car? Is this a known issue? Is there a fix besides replacement? Assuming it eventually fixes itself spontaneously (which HAS occurred, rarely) any thoughts on preventive maintenance?

You all have been really helpful! Last time I posted with a remote key not working. You gave me the reset fix that my local dealer in Sioux Falls (there is only one) was shocked that I had "found out about". I had to bring it in for something else, and he made it sound like it was supposed to be some big secret to consumers. I don't know what he would have charged me for a 'new' key!

So I'm hoping I can get some tips, tricks, or commiseration! Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't see anything about a recall or TSB covering the CD changer in the Milan. I know Ford had issues with them in the Mustangs though, so it may be covered. Just give a call to the servive department and see if the service writer has any further information.