Grinding at 1500 and 2500 RPM.

robsmkt

I have a noise that is coming from the driver's side (it sound like it from engine compartment)of my MKT. I've been to Lincoln twice for ride-alongs regarding the issue and they always tell me that they cant hear it. I've had passengers in car that also can hear the noise.

Basically, the noise sounds like a grind or crunch when I let my foot off the accelerator to slow down and then accelerate again without the transmission downshifting. Examples of this occurring are on a highway merge ramp if I let off the gas while waiting for a safe spot to merge and then give it gas to enter the flow of traffic. Another example is going around a slight corner. If I let off the gas to reduce speed slightly and then accelerate out of the turn, it makes the noise when I hit the gas. This is very noticeable when i DO NOT push the pedal to the floor, but simply accelerate normally. This does not occur if I come to a complete stop like at a stop sign or any other situation where I slow down enough for a downshift to occur. This only occurs when the vehicle is in motion and seem to happen around 1500 to 2500 RPM.

This is my first Lincoln(i've always been Mercedes and BMW guy) and I'm not impressed with the service dept at all. I do love the vehicle and love to support american jobs but if i keep getting the run around i might have to back to my Mercedes GL.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so can you tell me if it was resolved and how.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. The engine "grinds" - I have not been able to identify exactly when it occurs, nor the RPM, but it clearly happens. Almost like the turbo chargers are misfiring.

I also have a related problem (at least I think it's related). The engine will, from time to time, make a cackling noise, and act as if it's going to stall. Again, I'm thinking this is a turbo charger issue. Or perhaps fuel injectors, or an issue with the fuel pump. This problem initially occurred rarely, and now occurs several times per week. It's a real concern as it appears there may be a major design flaw in the transmission of this engine.

We currently have our car in the shop (in knoxville, tn), and hopefully I will have some more information to report soon.

I have a noise that is coming from the driver's side (it sound like it from engine compartment)of my MKT. I've been to Lincoln twice for ride-alongs regarding the issue and they always tell me that they cant hear it. I've had passengers in car that also can hear the noise.

Basically, the noise sounds like a grind or crunch when I let my foot off the accelerator to slow down and then accelerate again without the transmission downshifting. Examples of this occurring are on a highway merge ramp if I let off the gas while waiting for a safe spot to merge and then give it gas to enter the flow of traffic. Another example is going around a slight corner. If I let off the gas to reduce speed slightly and then accelerate out of the turn, it makes the noise when I hit the gas. This is very noticeable when i DO NOT push the pedal to the floor, but simply accelerate normally. This does not occur if I come to a complete stop like at a stop sign or any other situation where I slow down enough for a downshift to occur. This only occurs when the vehicle is in motion and seem to happen around 1500 to 2500 RPM.

This is my first Lincoln(i've always been Mercedes and BMW guy) and I'm not impressed with the service dept at all. I do love the vehicle and love to support american jobs but if i keep getting the run around i might have to back to my Mercedes GL.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so can you tell me if it was resolved and how.

Thanks

I have a noise

Basically, the noise sounds like a grind or crunch when I let my foot off the accelerator to slow down and then accelerate again without the transmission downshifting. Examples of this occurring are on a highway merge ramp if I let off the gas while waiting for a safe spot to merge and then give it gas to enter the flow of traffic. Another example is going around a slight corner.

Chrome-clad wheels?

• 1 month later...

I have engine-envy. I've got an 11 MKX on order with the 3.7. I really wish the ecoboost would have been offered. It almost sounds like it's a transmission issue b/c it's staying in the same gear....I hope you get your problem resolved. I've come out of an FX35 which was problem free for 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I have engine-envy. I've got an 11 MKX on order with the 3.7. I really wish the ecoboost would have been offered. It almost sounds like it's a transmission issue b/c it's staying in the same gear....I hope you get your problem resolved. I've come out of an FX35 which was problem free for 7 years.

I thought MKx was due for EcoBoost - 4