Armrest interference

suntan

I use to own a 2001 Golf with a foldable centre armrest. I had it mostly in the vertical position folded back between the seats. This was mainly because it was a manual tranny so it interfered with the shifting. But it also interfered with my elbows when steering. The door side armrest was fine as it was far enough away. I also own a Chevy Venture with a foldable right armrest and I keep that folded up all the time. When I need to rest my arms on long trips I just use the 4 and 8 o'clock positions and rest my elbows on my hip. Anyways shouldn't we all have our hands in the 9 and 6 o'clock positions all the time? :shift:

I think Ford omitted the centre armrest not for cost cutting but safety reasons.

suntan

The decision was quoted from Ford that it wasn't a requirement to have, not for safety. The armrest is helpful for long trips. it would be normally up while driving a manual in any type of vehicle.

For me personally, I won't miss it or need it. It's rated as a nice to have.