How do you remove rear headrests?

SLAPhappy

Is there a trick to remove the rear headrests? I can pull them up as far as the ceiling, but that's still not enough for the two posts to come out of the rear seatback. No one ever rides in the backseat, and the headrests are blocking the rear view. Thanks.

This will probably be one of those "DOH" moments for you. The headrest go into the seat backs, correct? If so, you should be able to release the back and tilt them down. Then you can get the headrests pulled all the way out.

• 2 months later...

This will probably be one of those "DOH" moments for you. The headrest go into the seat backs, correct? If so, you should be able to release the back and tilt them down. Then you can get the headrests pulled all the way out.

Thanks, but, I can't get them to tilt forward. I still can't figure ot if they're removable. Owner's manual does not specifically say they are.

Thanks, but, I can't get them to tilt forward. I still can't figure ot if they're removable. Owner's manual does not specifically say they are.

SLAPhappy, I posted the same question today on the Ford Fusion Forum. I looked at the Owner's Guide index and didn't see anything about headrests, it was pointed out to me where it was in the OG, on page 118 in the Seating and Safety Restraints section. On the opposite side of the button is a small hole, insert a paperclip or something a little more rigid in that hole as you pull up on the headrest, that will release it.

SLAPhappy, I posted the same question today on the Ford Fusion Forum. I looked at the Owner's Guide index and didn't see anything about headrests, it was pointed out to me where it was in the OG, on page 118 in the Seating and Safety Restraints section. On the opposite side of the button is a small hole, insert a paperclip or something a little more rigid in that hole as you pull up on the headrest, that will release it.

Thanks - however, my problem was with the rear headrests in my Hybrid. Forum member eneg sent me a message telling me how to lower the rear seat towards the front of the car, which will allow the headrests more distance to be pulled out completely. Lowering the rear seat in the hybrid is documented in the Fusion Emergency Response Guide. The release latches look like bolts, and it helps to have a flashlight handy to locate them from inside the trunk near the speakers.

Thanks - however, my problem was with the rear headrests in my Hybrid. Forum member eneg sent me a message telling me how to lower the rear seat towards the front of the car, which will allow the headrests more distance to be pulled out completely. Lowering the rear seat in the hybrid is documented in the Fusion Emergency Response Guide. The release latches look like bolts, and it helps to have a flashlight handy to locate them from inside the trunk near the speakers.

In your original post you did not say that you had a hybrid. Since the rear seats do not fold forward on a hybrid, removing the headrests are a whole other story. According to the owners manual, only the center rear headrest can be removed on the hybrid. To do this, the center headrest is moved to the highest position, a paper clip is inserted into a hole on the side of the guide sleeve, the adjust/release button is pressed, and the center headrest is pulled out. If you want to remove the outboard headrests, it sounds like you are out of luck on the hybrid.

You might be able to use the same procedure to release the outboard as the center. If you can get the headrests high enough to hit the roof, then it is likely you can lower the rear seat backs as it says in the Fusion Emergency Response Guide to remove them completely. Definitely a lot harder than on the non-hybrid model.

In your original post you did not say that you had a hybrid. Since the rear seats do not fold forward on a hybrid, removing the headrests are a whole other story. According to the owners manual, only the center rear headrest can be removed on the hybrid. To do this, the center headrest is moved to the highest position, a paper clip is inserted into a hole on the side of the guide sleeve, the adjust/release button is pressed, and the center headrest is pulled out. If you want to remove the outboard headrests, it sounds like you are out of luck on the hybrid.

You might be able to use the same procedure to release the outboard as the center. If you can get the headrests high enough to hit the roof, then it is likely you can lower the rear seat backs as it says in the Fusion Emergency Response Guide to remove them completely. Definitely a lot harder than on the non-hybrid model.

When I first posted, I didn't know there was a difference between Hybrid and non-Hybrid head rests. Even though I have seen the diagrams in the Emergency guide, I haven't been able to locate these levers. It's probably one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" type of thing. I'm determined now :)