Focus ST vs Mazda3s

jaydez

I'm in the market for a new car. I am tossing around some ideas and I wanted to know what you guys think. I'll be looking at either an 07 ST or an 06 or 07 Mazda3s.

My bro has an 05 3s and I love driving that thing... but its pricy for what you get and the clutch is weird on it.

My mom has an 03 SVT 3 door and its been nothing but problems since day 1. Its been in and out for service and warenty work its whole life. But an ST uses the same Mazda engine minus VVT.

What is gas milage like (real world) in an ST? mostly highway for me but short highway trips.

thanks!

I'm in the market for a new car. I am tossing around some ideas and I wanted to know what you guys think. I'll be looking at either an 07 ST or an 06 or 07 Mazda3s.

My bro has an 05 3s and I love driving that thing... but its pricy for what you get and the clutch is weird on it.

My mom has an 03 SVT 3 door and its been nothing but problems since day 1. Its been in and out for service and warenty work its whole life. But an ST uses the same Mazda engine minus VVT.

What is gas milage like (real world) in an ST? mostly highway for me but short highway trips.

thanks!

Ok I have Mazda3s and I used to own an 05 Focus SES (with the D20E engine).

The ST has less HP, but more Torque than Mazda3s. The Tranny in Focus is said to be better than the Manny in the Mazda3, but some people counter. The reliability on the 05+ cars hass been excellent.. especially on stuff that counts (mechanicals).. Minor annoyances like rattles and squeaks might be adiffrent matter (the ywere omnipresent on my Focus). (do not take SVT's as standard for focus reliability - they had thei issues unique from the rest of the Focus line)

Finally, Mazda3 might not need to be more expensive.. I know of folks that bought a base Mazda3s for as little 15-16k.. which is definitely in Focus ST territory.. fully loaded s GT will however run you close to 20k.

The advantages of Mazda are: better interior, better warranty (you get loaners when in service for warranty work), in my experience, better dealers, and better resale value.

However, Focus is a little bit nimbler.. it is smaller and I did like its handling just a notch better than the Mazda. If you settle for 05+ used, you can get a real bargain thanks to the crappy resale.. and you can always get good deal on a Focus even new.

In the end it is up to you.. if all you care about is the engine.. get a Focus.. I could not bear with that. I wanted a good car around the engine.. and my Focus did not satisfy me... I am much happier in the Mazda..

BTW my 3s with a stick and well broken in motor (45k miles) got me top mileage of 35mpg.. usual 85-95mph HWY mileage is around 30mpg. I never got less than 20mpg out of city driving...

My Focus had worse mileage, but it was an ATX.

I hope I helped some.

EDIT: keep an aye out on the 07 Mazda3... there are some changes done to the chasis and engines. The mileage might jump a little with the refinements... The 07 Focus ST did gain 1 mpg in City per EPA ratings.

Igor

Edited by igor

I completely agree with Igor. Both cars are great, of course both are also Ford family, so it really depends on personal experience. Take each out for a spin and wring the living hell out of both of them.

I've said it before, our Focus is a blast to drive, so you really can't go wrong!!

I owned an 05 ST & traded it on an 06 Mustang V6 with the pony package. While I like the Mustang, and it is a great improvement over the Fox-body cars, I wish I had the ST back. It was just a better fit for me. The Mazda 3 is a great car I'm sure, but with the slow sales of the Focus, I'd bet you can find an ST $1000s under the Mazda 3. Not much real difference in the mechanicals, etc.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate on buying an other ST, and may do so when the new (Mazda 3) chassis and maybe some of the goodies of the European Focus.

well I went to the Ford dealler yesterday to check out the ST they had on the lot. back witht he appearance package 2, leather, Audiophile, side airbags, heated seats. It was an OK looking car. body kit looks goofy as hell on a sedan. (like a civic DX with a wild body kit) Then I saw the sticker..... $20,000!!! holy shit! there is no way in hell I'd EVER pay close to that much for a Focus. I had them check the systema nd for about 18,600 they found one somewhere else... this is sticker price. The salesman wouldnt tkae me for a test drive and told me I would have to come back Friday or saturday. I told him i might be back saturday. But leaving I saw a Fusion S 4 cy 5-sp for less than the focus ST he looked up (18,400). I might want to look at that too.

After I left I went across the street to the Toyota dealership to look at a Scion Tc...... NICE car. $16,000 gets you twice as much as the Focus. More power, huge sunroof, 17 inch alloys, 170 HP, etc.

So if the Fusion doesnt wow me beyond my wildest reams then I think im gunna go for the Scion... after I sell my damned truck.... anyone want a 2000 Mazda B-3000 SE cabplus 4 door 4x4? :bandance:

well I went to the Ford dealler yesterday to check out the ST they had on the lot. back witht he appearance package 2, leather, Audiophile, side airbags, heated seats. It was an OK looking car. body kit looks goofy as hell on a sedan. (like a civic DX with a wild body kit) Then I saw the sticker..... $20,000!!! holy shit! there is no way in hell I'd EVER pay close to that much for a Focus. I had them check the systema nd for about 18,600 they found one somewhere else... this is sticker price. The salesman wouldnt tkae me for a test drive and told me I would have to come back Friday or saturday. I told him i might be back saturday. But leaving I saw a Fusion S 4 cy 5-sp for less than the focus ST he looked up (18,400). I might want to look at that too.

After I left I went across the street to the Toyota dealership to look at a Scion Tc...... NICE car. $16,000 gets you twice as much as the Focus. More power, huge sunroof, 17 inch alloys, 170 HP, etc.

So if the Fusion doesnt wow me beyond my wildest reams then I think im gunna go for the Scion... after I sell my damned truck.... anyone want a 2000 Mazda B-3000 SE cabplus 4 door 4x4? :bandance:

I would hate to see you in the ill handlint, torque lacking soulless scion

You need tgo stop looking at STCKIERS.. there is 2500 cash back plu zero percent financing on Focus and at least $1000 on the Fusion.

Also you were looking at a car with everything (the ST) .. forget the goofy bodykit - that is an option. Forget the leather seats. they are not worth it ... get the side airbags, and maybe tC (ABS is standard) and if you want the Audiophile stereo and that is it... nothing else is worth it..and the egotiate the hell out of it - no Focus sells for Sticker price - you should be able to get a base ST for less than 14k.

Scrion is OK, but I do not knoe anyone over 18 who actually likes driving that enjoys them... the engine really lacks the torque, that Ford has aplenty.. and it is still Toyots chasis, which means it handles like crap..

If you like the Scion well.. go fo ir ... I guess.. but you need to stop looking at sticker prices in Ford dealership - they mean nothing,...

just a piece of advice.

Igor

I bought a 2005 ST in Feb. the 2.3 motor was my main motivator for the ST over lesser Foci.

It has; the Moonroof, all power accessories, (PW, PL, CC), Tilt & Telescope, Audiophile 6 disc CD, heated suede & leather seats, Traction Control, spoiler, and listed at MSRP for $20,490.

I got a $2,500 rebate from Invoice and ended up paying about $16,300 with an X-Plan PIN.

I paid $18,207 with TTT out the door, just looked at my contract....

I liked the looks better than the Mazda 3 and my dealer is, as I always point out, one of the best to deal with on the planet for sales & service, so Ford over Mazda was a no-brainer for me....

I have put 7,950 miles on it since Feb, (100 miles/day commute) and have really enjoyed the feel and handling and have had no problems.

I have added a Steeda Cold Air Kit, tinted windows, Mobil 1 oil, and a Superchips 93 Octane tune so far....

I am getting 29-32 mpg at 75 ish with the cruise on my commute and the lowest yet is 25 when it was new...

I bought it as a throwaway commuter fun car and it really is way better than I expected it to be.

My son has a 2002 SVT and we have had minimal problems with it, and it is a great little car overall.

Neither one of us is going to give up our Mustangs, but as daily drivers/commuters, the Focuses are great.

I am ordering a 2007 GT Vert for my wife this week, we are unable to get our GT500 due to markups and no cars available........I was offered $5000 over MSRP and declined, that comes with a wait of probably a year or more from now.....

Hello Corvette.....

I do like my St a lot for what it is and enjoy playing with it.....a good car.

thanks!

Ordered a 2006 Focus ST in February for my daughter. Got a moonroof, traction control, heated seats, side airbags, and alarm. Got it in red. After all rebates and college $500 got the vehichle for $14,300. Great car and I love to drive it myself. Lots of fun!

• 1 month later...
Ordered a 2006 Focus ST in February for my daughter. Got a moonroof, traction control, heated seats, side airbags, and alarm. Got it in red. After all rebates and college $500 got the vehichle for $14,300. Great car and I love to drive it myself. Lots of fun!

i would check with your insurance company about rates, the ST Focus is significantly higher than the garden variety models.

• 1 month later...
well I went to the Ford dealler yesterday to check out the ST they had on the lot ... with the appearance package 2 ... It was an OK looking car. body kit looks goofy as hell on a sedan.

You're right, the Street Appearance Package 2 IS GOOFY looking!

But the SAP 1, now that's a different story altogether....

iajhqbzhry.jpg

6bhrf0a76x.jpg

2005 ST update:

Now I have 13,650 on mine and it only gets faster as the miles go on....

I am settled in at about 27-30 mpg every tank now that I learned how to fill it to the top for consistency....

I am pleased with this car for the $$ and that surprises me, as I do not like FWD and generally don't like cheaper cars.....

I will now list the problems I have had in 13,650 miles............................................NONE

This car is a good car for the job I assigned it, and it generally exceeds my expectations...can't complain about that.

My son's friend's Scion TC is showing excessive seat wear with only 15K on it and is generally not impressive compared to the ST overall for the same $$......this is my opinion of course...I would not buy 1.