Hi I'm new to this site. I will be turning 16 shortley and I will receive my mother's 1993 Explorer XLT. It is Electric Current Red with only 93000 miles on it. I come from a long line of Ford owners my grandfather(deceased) sold them and was one of their top salesmen. My family has owned (grandparents through my generation) 2 Country Squires, 60s model truck, 67 (I thnk) Fairlane, 1977 Mustang 2 (yellow) 1978 F-Series Ranger (drk blue), 84 Bronco (white), 86 Tempo LX (black with red velour) 93 explorer 94 F-150 ( black). We still own the 78 truck, 94 F-150, and the Explorer. My father takes good care of his vehicles. he passed that down to me. When I grow I see myself owning Ford, Mercurys ,and Chrysler cars. We also own a 96 Plymouth Neon and 02 PT Cruiser. My father wanted a change. Well now that I wrote a car autobiography, I'll let you go.

Welcome, and congrats on getting the Explorer. I am an Explorer owner myself and I truly believe that the Explorer is the swiss army knife of vehicles. If I can give you a little advice on your Explorer...remember these things...1) Drive it like a 4x4 truck and not a passenger car (you probably already know this) 2) Keep good tires on it and don't change the size that it was orginally designed for. 3) Replace the shocks and align it if needed. That model still used a twin i beam set-up and they are very hard on tires if the ball joints, alignment or shocks get bad. 4) Properly maintain it. 5) Always wear your seat belt and follow the posted speed limits.

If you follow those things you will find your Explorer is a very safe and capable vehicle.

I am on my second Explorer. I bought a used 2002 model and now I am the owner of a 2005 that I bought brand new. Although our vehicles are miles apart in design, yours is just as capable. I wish I could have had a cool Explorer like yours when I was your age. Between my parents and my brother we have several Ford vehicles. My parents have a 1997 F-150, 2000 Taurus and a 2005 Ranger 4x4 SC. I have a 2005 Explorer and my brother has a 2005 Mercury Mariner. If you wonder why we have so many 2005's, well we bought them all within the same week last July. The Ford Family Plan discount was such a great deal. I got a $34K Explorer for $25K. I guess that is why we will probably never see that deal again!

Attached is a picture of my baby all shined up...

post-19901-1151287729_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer