'Catch Can" or "Air & Oil Seperator" Required for 2011 Ford Edge Sport

scuubydoo3

I've had my 2011 Ford Edge Sport since September of last year. Since than I've upgraded to a Cold Air Intake and a MagnaFlow exhaust system. Currently I'm in Las Cruces, NM til the middle of April.

Recently my engine has come on. It was something I had to fix originally as the engine had to get used to the new 3in Cold-Air Intake but the light has been on for a while til recently.

Yesterday, I opened the hood and took a piece of the Cold Air Intake off to readjust it again only to find that the bottom inside of the Cold Air intake was covered in engine oil. There were actually puddles in some areas of the pipe. I've made a few phone calls and showed a couple coworkers and found out that I have to install a Catch Can or anther word for it is Air & Oil Seperator. They said it's normal for more high performance vehicles.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Could there be something else wrong with the vehicle that I dont know about?

There are times that I am a bit of a lead foot. I know that doesnt help but this is the first time I have heard of this happening.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope everyone else is enjoying their new Edge as much as I have!

I haven't heard of the problem on the Edge -- I may go take a look at the intake on mine just for comparison's sake since you mentioned it -- but I did have a similar issue on my Cobra. I'm running a breather cap on it now and haven't had any issues since. I do know some people who have used oil separators on their Cobras also with good results.

I havent heard of the problem either, but I do have an after market CAI installed. I am also heavy on the pedal on occasions. Not all the time. I am going to go ahead and purchase a new MAF sensor just in case the oil did contaminate it. I was just wondering if anyone else that has an aftermarket CAI has inspected it to see if they are having anything close to the same problem.

I haven't heard of the problem on the Edge -- I may go take a look at the intake on mine just for comparison's sake since you mentioned it -- but I did have a similar issue on my Cobra. I'm running a breather cap on it now and haven't had any issues since. I do know some people who have used oil separators on their Cobras also with good results.

• 1 month later...

I've had my 2011 Ford Edge Sport since September of last year. Since than I've upgraded to a Cold Air Intake and a MagnaFlow exhaust system. Currently I'm in Las Cruces, NM til the middle of April.

Recently my engine has come on. It was something I had to fix originally as the engine had to get used to the new 3in Cold-Air Intake but the light has been on for a while til recently.

Yesterday, I opened the hood and took a piece of the Cold Air Intake off to readjust it again only to find that the bottom inside of the Cold Air intake was covered in engine oil. There were actually puddles in some areas of the pipe. I've made a few phone calls and showed a couple coworkers and found out that I have to install a Catch Can or anther word for it is Air & Oil Seperator. They said it's normal for more high performance vehicles.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Could there be something else wrong with the vehicle that I dont know about?

There are times that I am a bit of a lead foot. I know that doesnt help but this is the first time I have heard of this happening.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope everyone else is enjoying their new Edge as much as I have!

I'd like to get an Edge in a few years.

Do you remember if you had similar experience with the regular intake when you took it off? I don't have a lot of experience with oil seperators but a lot of people are using them on the new Mustangs too. I'm just curious as to what would really cause that kind of build up in the CAI.